jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (9 posts)

Spelling in different countries.

1. Organised Kaos profile image93
    Organised Kaosposted 4 years ago

Spelling in different countries.

I'm an Australian and we have different spelling to US. Should I care about this? Or should I use US spelling?

2. alancaster149 profile image84
    alancaster149posted 4 years ago

Spell like us Poms, mate. Good on yer, possums! (You can't half tell Dame Edna's been here, the lingo's gone a bit colourful!) 
    The Yanks can still read it (they're not that backward). In fact, they think the way we spell is quaint - just like we think theirs is a bit 'off centre'.
    I've been thinking of writing in Yorksher dialect, but that might test the special relationship a bit too much.

3. MPG Narratives profile image61
    MPG Narrativesposted 4 years ago

I've always used Aussie spelling. As long as you write and get the point across does it really matter?

1. alancaster149 profile image84
      alancaster149posted 4 years agoin reply to this

That's King's English to the rest of us, pal

4. profile image0
    Ghaelachposted 4 years ago

As we all know there are many different versions of the English language and all of them read and sound great.
    The problem might be which version do the people at HP HQ over there in the San Francisco use, and that may contribute to hubbers having hubs knocked back over the quality of their hub.

Pacific Rim English, as spoken at the Altamont Speedway ca '69, I know it well. - a bit different to Estuary English but they'd understand each other, talking about passing tankers and container ships.

5. carter06 profile image80
    carter06posted 4 years ago

Good question! I have often wondered about this.. I find mostly there is an understanding of word meanings between western countries with relatively few words causing confusion..cheers

6. Radical Rog profile image79
    Radical Rogposted 4 years ago

The origin of the word spell, 'spel' dates back before the written word, to ancient travelling storytellers and relates to the ability to tell a story. A good storyteller was said to know the 'spel' of a story, to be able to tell it delivering all the segments of the story in the correct order.
    Compare to the modern definition, the ability to place all the letters of a word in the correct order.
    Spelling varies from country to country and the best advice is to write for the country you are in, or where you see your main market. The only concern is where this different spelling might confuse the meaning of what you write.

I think OK referred to differences in spelling between US and UK English, not spelling between other languages. The difference between theirs and ours has no bearing on the meaning of words. As we know the differences, write the way you always do.

working