What age were you when you first started writing?

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (32 posts)
  1. Anna Haven profile image72
    Anna Havenposted 10 years ago

What age were you when you first started writing?

Did you start to write storys and prose down  as a child or was it as an adult you found your love of writing?

2. dahoglund profile image71
    dahoglundposted 10 years ago

My first attempt to write a short story was in high school or just after. That is other than school assignments which would have been in about the sixth grade. The assignment was to write about banananas. My older bother convinced me to write about the life cycle of a banana from a first person  point-of -view.

Anna Havenposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Now that would have been a difficult assignment to write!
      Thank you for taking the time to answer dahoglund.

3. bravewarrior profile image86
    bravewarriorposted 10 years ago

I think I was about 7.  I wrote a picture book about an elephant.  I'm no artist by any stretch, but I drew a pretty good elephant when I was a little girl.

My love of writing grew from there.  I wrote imaginative stories in junior high with outlandish characters.  One year I wrote a spoof on the old Dragnet series with a garbage can, sneaker, baseball bat and a dollar bill as the lead characters.  I sure wish I had that story today!  It would either inspire me or elicit chuckles - or both!

I think your right. It would be so good to read the work we had done so many years ago.
      Thank you very much answering smile

4. profile image0
    anndangoposted 10 years ago

At the age of five. Our dog was hit by a car and died. It was heavy stuff for a little kid and the way I dealt with it was to write it down. At age six, my best friend moved away. I wrote a little story about that - a sort of journalistic piece about my friend's life (all six years of it!) and how she was moving on to bigger and better things, but how I'd always remember her and cherish our friendship.

I had a mini-steamer trunk, blue with brass trim. I kept my writing locked away in it. I don't have those bits of writing anymore (wish i did), but I learned at a young age that writing was a way to deal with feelings and emotions.

It definately is.
      Your little trunk sounds perfect for keeping your writing in. I had a little book with a lock,  and key to open it.
      Thank you for answering anndango.

5. billybuc profile image86
    billybucposted 10 years ago

Sophomore in high school was the first time I took writing seriously. That was when a teacher told me I had promise and I decided to give it a try. I've been writing on and off since then, but it was only five years ago that I stepped up to the next level and let my passion flow on a regular basis....and now it is so ingrained in me that I can't imagine not writing.

We can't imagine you not writing either smile
      I am glad you took the writing path.  We have all gained from your experience.
      Thank you for answering.

6. profile image59
    DJ Andersonposted 10 years ago

When the Beatles took the USA by storm, I felt emotions that were quite new to me.  I thought those screaming girls were so silly.  I knew I would never act so
    unrestrained in public.  But, my pen found paper and I poured out my heart to that
    baby face, Paul.  I was in middle school and my daydreams took flight and I leaned how to escape my plight.
    I honestly believed this is where reality broke away and I found that I could write stories with pretty endings.  I could pretend and be any character and dress in the finest fashions.  In other words, I could become anyone that I wanted to be, and I desperately wanted to be anyone other than me.
    At age 30, and facing a divorce, I found that writing was a great therapy.  Poetry
    was my first love, and then short stories followed.  I shared my works with only one other person before coming to HP.  It took some powerful nerves to publish
    works that had been so personal.
    I would have to say that my serious writings started when I was around 30.
    At this point, I am trying to soak up as much knowledge as possible.  I write everyday, but I rarely publish on HP.  They are not set up to appreciate creative writings and poetry. 
    But, there is a great support group here on HP.  I could not imagine starting my day without reading some juicy love story from Martin, or words that should be carved in stone, from Bill, or a sunny feel good story from Wales.
    Keep your eyes peeled on Sha and Anna, it is just a matter of time until we can say, "Hey, I knew them when..."
    There are some marvelous talents walking these hallowed halls of HP.
    We are the fortunate ones!
    And, I say, "Thank you for that."
    DJ.

Evening DJ smile
      Your very kind. I have been missing your works on HP. Your right about the poetry and creative writing. It is definately not a preferred format here!
      I liked your Beatles story. Yes, writing is definately cathartic.
      Anna smile

7. carolp profile image80
    carolpposted 10 years ago

I started to write my diary during my high school days. I wrote about my emotions, my experiences, important and memorable events that were related to my life, my family & friends.

Thank you very much carolp for taking the time to read and answer my question.

8. lburmaster profile image73
    lburmasterposted 10 years ago

It actually started as a love of essays. When I was 7, my mother had me take an essay class in a woman's home and it was a research paper about dachshunds. From then on I would be the house reporter or write stories.

The house reporter sounds good. I remember doing the same. Thank you iburmaster.

9. AUPADHYAY profile image57
    AUPADHYAYposted 10 years ago

I was just a student in XII th standard when I wrote a poem in a contest and got the consolation prize. Though, it was a pity amount in the context of present economic standard but it meant a lot at that time. Now I think that if I would have not win this contest, I could never be a writer or poet. This was the milestone for me.

Recognition is a strong motivator. Thank you very much Aupadhyay for taking the time to read and answer my question.

10. ChitrangadaSharan profile image90
    ChitrangadaSharanposted 10 years ago

It started during my school days only, although I do not remember the exact age. Besides my usual studies, I enjoyed writing short poems, my experiences in a diary. In fact I wrote for my school magazines too. And gradually the interest has increased only.

A diary seems a popular place for the love of writing to spark. Thank you for answering Chitrangada Sharan.

11. Theater girl profile image69
    Theater girlposted 10 years ago

I wrote my first poem at about 15. I wrote stories as a child....but it was not until I wrote a poem in high school that I "got bit" so to speak. That poem happens to be on my page and many kind people have been good enough to read it. Writing always has helped me exorcise my demons!

I will need to read that poem. Thank you Theater girl for taking the time to answer.

12. Twilight Lawns profile image73
    Twilight Lawnsposted 10 years ago

I tried a bit of writing when I was about ten years of age.  It was an attempt at a "scary, mystery" story. But when my mother read it an pointed out, gently, that about every fourth word was "suddenly", I realised that i would not reach her standards (She was very gifted), although she tried to encourage me, I put down my pen until I went to Teachers' College where we HAD to submit poems and/or prose for the college magazine.
    By chance (and, I hope, some real talent) my friend and "writing rival" scooped the poetry and prose prizes.  She is now a highly recognised writer on  Women's and Islamic Issues.
    I didn't start again until finding HUbPages about three years ago.
    For what little good that did me! Still unrecognised, by now, no longer scribbling.
    (Except to answer questions on HP and congratulate the small number of decent writers on this site)

Thank you Twilight  Lawns for your engaging response. I am glad you decided to answer  this question.

2. Twilight Lawns profile image73
      Twilight Lawnsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thank you so much for your comment, Anna.
      You may, or may not, be surprised to hear that your kindness has spurred me on to attempting some more writing.
      Thanks again,
      Ian

3. Anna Haven profile image72

Hi Ian
      I am really glad to hear that you will be writing again,  and honoured if this question has had any small part in spurring on that decision.
      kind regards
      Anna

13. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 10 years ago

I think I was about 13 or 14. I was always an avid reader and loved mysteries like Nancy Drew and also a little bit of romance (nothing like they print these days! YEOW). 

Also had a very active imagination and imagined myself as one of the heroines in the books I read. Then it dawned on me that I could make my own stories and make them just the way I liked them and it grew from there.

And of course as the usual angst-ridden teen, I wrote a lot of really bad poetry.

I used to read Nancy Drew too and the teenage poetry thing. Thank you duffsmom smile

14. jenslibra profile image59
    jenslibraposted 10 years ago

I first started writing around age 13 and it was mainly poetry and lyrics.  I became very introverted around this age and writing was an outlet for my changing thoughts and emotions.  From that age, I always made time to write and put together a folder of all my inventions.  It's funny for me to look back on those now because I was in a different state of mind.  As an adult, I got a degree in English and still love writing!  Couldn't live without it.

Thank you jenslibra.
      I wish I had kept my writing for my younger days. It must be fascinating to see the evolution both in the writing skill and in yourself.

15. Tygher41 profile image59
    Tygher41posted 10 years ago

I wrote a story about my dog passing away when I was 6. Nothing too in depth, but very sweet. My mother still keeps it, ha! I really started writing fiction around 14 and 15 and having continued ever since.

16. profile image0
    KenDeanAgudoposted 10 years ago

I started writing at the age of 14, I love writing and expressing myself through my pieces.

17. emilynemchick profile image79
    emilynemchickposted 10 years ago

I started writing in earnest at about 18, when I started university. By the time I graduated, I'd written 5 full length novels and several hundred short stories and other bits. I haven't really slowed down since.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)