jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

Are there men out there like Christian Grey?

1. Pinklady1350 profile image61
    Pinklady1350posted 4 years ago

Are there men out there like Christian Grey?

I need your thoughts people. ESPECIALLY from the guys. I have had so many different opinions on this, and this book has stirred up a lot of curiosity....among my friends...
    What do you guys think?

2. M. T. Dremer profile image96
    M. T. Dremerposted 4 years ago

I'm sure there are a number of controlling men out there, but I doubt they are young, rich and single. Both him and Edward Cullen are this generation's incarnation of Fabio, which is another way of saying it's a romanticized depiction of the desirable male. Unfortunately, this just gives abusive men an opening to dominate their girlfriends; because the women think it's the norm. There are many nice, caring men out there who are better than Christian Grey.

1. ChristinS profile image96
      ChristinSposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Absolutely! I completely agree.

3. junkseller profile image84
    junksellerposted 4 years ago

If you are only talking about fetish and desire than the man sitting next to you is probably Christian Grey. While they may have a different kink, it very well could be equally potent. Of course most men do not have the money, power, and prestige to indulge in those fantasies like Christian Grey. They have to navigate acceptable social mores and generally it is unacceptable to suggest tying a woman up on the first date (even for a woman who fantasizes about Christian Grey). Heck, just saying a woman looks nice can be a minefield these days.

The real question then, to me, is if there are really women out their like Ana. Afterall, what is Grey without her submission? The truth of BDSM is that both players have power in the relationship and ultimately it works only with respect and trust. That is the part which separates reality from fantasy.

So my answer would be, yes, there are probably lots of men out there like him, but establishing such a relationship takes openness, communication, and trust, which requires a lot of work that a book never asks of you.

4. peeples profile image95
    peeplesposted 4 years ago

There are plenty of guys like him and plenty of women like ana. This book caused way too much controversy. There is nothing abusive about that type of relationship. Quite the opposite really because of the levels of communication and trust involved.
    The only real problem with people who enjoy that type of lifestyle is how hard it is finding an equal partner. As junkseller mentioned it is not very acceptable to just go out on a first date and bring it up. Society is far too limiting in what is considered acceptable behavior between two consenting adults. EVERY living breathing person who has sex, has a fetish of one kind or another. BDSM is no different than a boob, foot, rape, or butt fetish. Just one of the many ways a person can enjoy themselves. So yes, there are plenty who lead similar lifestyles.