jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What is this symbol? "~" And what is the proper way to use this symbol?

1. EZ Swim Fitness profile image86
    EZ Swim Fitnessposted 4 years ago

What is this symbol? "~" And what is the proper way to use this symbol?

I see this often in front of the name of the person for referencing a quote. Is this the proper way to reference a quote?

I am writing about poems from long ago and mythology and wish to quote in a proper manner.

Can someone please help?

2. Quilligrapher profile image86
    Quilligrapherposted 4 years ago

This symbol is called a “tilde.” The name comes from Portuguese and Spanish, and from the Latin word "titulus." In written English, it is used to mean “approximately.”  Example: “The distance is ~30 miles.”

In some languages it serves as a diacritical mark above a letter to designate a change in pronunciation, similar to the "umlaut" in German. It had a similar function in ancient Greek and Medieval Latin and it also plays a role in many modern languages as well. The tilde performs multiple duties and has an assortment of meanings in mathematics, electronics, computing, and even juggling notation.

The use of a tilde to attribute the source of a quote is a matter of personal choice.
    Q.

3. Phyllis Doyle profile image97
    Phyllis Doyleposted 4 years ago

Wow - what Quilligrapher says is very interesting. I have never seen or heard about that symbol.

When in edit mode, there is a button above the text (in the tool bar) that looks like " " -- it is simply quotation marks. If you want a quote in your hub capsule, type the quote, highlight it, then click on the quotation marks in the tool bar just above. Your quotation will jump to a centered position and show up in in slightly lighter letters.

Make sure you properly attribute the quote just below the quote. I hope this answers your question on how to properly quote in a hub.

4. RGNestle profile image82
    RGNestleposted 4 years ago

I was going to answer, but I would have only been echoing Quilligrapher's answer almost verbatim.

working