jump to last post 1-12 of 12 discussions (12 posts)

What are the major differences between songwriters and poets...ignoring the obvi

1. Wayne Brown profile image83
    Wayne Brownposted 7 years ago

What are the major differences between songwriters and poets...ignoring the obvious...music?

2. PaulGoodman67 profile image97
    PaulGoodman67posted 7 years ago

Poets drink more.  Songwriters do more drugs.

(that's just a joke, by the way! hehe!)

3. karengibsonroc profile image78
    karengibsonrocposted 7 years ago

i am a poet...first and foremost...i however...write poetry for music...my last three albums are poetry spoken over music...i think the only difference is delivery!! of the lyrics and the structure of the song!!

4. blake4d profile image58
    blake4dposted 7 years ago

Songwriters never know it when their work sucks, poets always know their work sucks but don't care...and if you ignore the music, well obviously that sucks too.

5. Tirzah Laughs profile image82
    Tirzah Laughsposted 7 years ago

Poetry is not required to follow a beat, songs are.  A poem may have meter and rhythm but is NOT required to have it.  Just look at prose poetry, concrete poetry and haikus.

Songs also usually follow something in a 2/4 beat.  Poems do not always do this.

Poems can be songs and sometimes songs can be poems.

Songs require repeating lines, poems may have them but do not require a 'chorus'.

6. BenWritings profile image79
    BenWritingsposted 7 years ago

Hmmm thats interesting

A beautiful, flowing, rhyming song can be a huge plus...

But, to me, the way the words in a song flow doesn't affect me quite the same, as if I am reading a poem

A song can be beautiful, regardless of the words.

Also, I would usually write repeating lines, or a form of chorus in a song

While usually in poetry, I don't like to repeat the same line more than once

7. pearlmacb profile image74
    pearlmacbposted 7 years ago

I personally do not believe there is any difference. I think you can set music to just about any creative writing/poems. I write poems, speaking from my own experience, going back many years lol two of my poems were set to music. In fact, on another writers-site I have a poem which has been commented a few times as a piece you could easily set music to :-))))

8. Amy Becherer profile image74
    Amy Bechererposted 7 years ago

I believe poets and lyricists share the same intent in that they use words to convey an idea in a stylized brief piece.  My concept of a songwriter is putting lyrics to music.  Poetry and lyrics can exist on their own, with a "beat", rhythm and flow that is music, unaccompanied by instruments other than the eyes, and if read aloud, the voice of the reader.

Songwriters usually create with the intent of putting lyrics to music.  I have had a few musicians read some of my poetry and say, "I hear a song in the making". 

So, I would conclude with the idea that the end product is conceptualized with a different intent for it's creation.  Poets create a piece to stand on it's own and songwriter's write with the intent of putting those words to music.  I would categorize the sole difference in the intent of the final product by the artist.

9. akirchner profile image96
    akirchnerposted 7 years ago

I'm not sure there are that many differences, Wayne - except that adding the medium of music to the mix, one would have to worry about phrasing more than the 'standard' poet so as to make the most of the verbiage. I would think too verbiage would play a more important role in songwriting because let's face it - most of us can't even remember the words let alone catch them!

10. stclairjack profile image83
    stclairjackposted 7 years ago

i diamond in a garbage dump and a diamond on a desert island are still diamonds,..... there is no difference,.... although i love blake4d response!

11. Jarn profile image72
    Jarnposted 7 years ago

Songwriters makes money on occaision. I've never known a wealthy poet.

12. tinaweha profile image67
    tinawehaposted 7 years ago

ummmmm song writers try to rhyme just a little
    poets know that no one will care what they write
    songwriters are more in touch with the possibility of making the big bucks.

just browsed the answers: To the guy above: Poets drink more.  Singers do more drugs and alcohol.  Songwriters do whatever they can afford.

working