Do you re-read your writing for fun?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (10 posts)
  1. M. T. Dremer profile image92
    M. T. Dremerposted 3 years ago

Do you re-read your writing for fun?

This can apply to any kind of writing, be it a non-fiction hub or a genre fiction novel. But, do you ever find yourself going back and just reading your old stuff? Without, necessarily, an intent to write more or edit it?

2. nochance profile image91
    nochanceposted 3 years ago

All the time. The stuff I wrote in high school was pretty amazing. Some of it is awful and cliched but there are other pieces that are sort of brilliant. It makes me remember why I still write.

3. kalinin1158 profile image97
    kalinin1158posted 3 years ago

Great question M.T.! I do a lot of re-reading smile And it always fascinates me. In a way (almost) everything I write, I write to myself. So it's like my old self speaking to my current self, and as you can imagine, the conversation gets a little schizophrenic at times, but it gives me such a startling insight into who I was, who I am, and who I'm still going to be.

4. dashingscorpio profile image86
    dashingscorpioposted 3 years ago

It's kind of strange when you go back to read something you wrote there is sometimes a feeling of being someone else. It almost feels as though there is a "writing voice" in you that is different from your conversational voice.
    Once in a while you're amazed and other times you wish you had said things differently or added another aspect to it. The older the material is the more distant or removed from me it feels.
    On some level you kind of let it go.

5. reinhardBeck profile image75
    reinhardBeckposted 3 years ago

Not sure if "fun" is the word I'd use. But I have found that every time I re-read my own word I end up revising it even if I had no intention to.  My book is never finished because I know I'll fiddle with it yet again. The question is knowing when to stop and then have the courage to stop.

6. tsmog profile image81
    tsmogposted 3 years ago

At times. I deleted most of my hubs a year or so back. I have been in the cauldron sifting through the dust looking for possibilities. What is interesting is I realized how much was added to the impact of the article with the imagery and other capsules. I kind'a missed them not being there when I reread them.

I have reread papers I wrote for college work too. I get stuck in thought with those as they cause great pondering. Since essay in nature they usually were explanation, expository, and persuasion essays. The pondering is the position I have today contrast / compare that of the time I wrote the paper.

Interestingly some I changed my viewpoint since that writing experience. Some I did not. Some I realized were a great impact on me forming my person as I am today. Then it was like visiting an old and dear friend chatting things over. I liked the new experience through rereading as much if not more than the original researching and writing. I would smile when sitting down later to a glass of ice tea. I felt a sense of peacefulness.

7. profile image0
    Stargrrlposted 3 years ago

I do at times, and then I notice errors and I go back and change it.  I'm my worse critic, but for some reason, I never proofread.

8. dohn121 profile image81
    dohn121posted 3 years ago

To contrast what nochance wrote, I find more older writing awful.  It shows my apparent inexperience of both prose and poetry, yet it's honest and epitomizes my age at the time.  To see that your past writing is indeed bad, in turn, is a good thing.  It goes to show you just how far you've come and that you are now mature enough to see your faults in your own work and to see it as clearly as an outsider would.  And to do so is a vast improvement in your craft because in doing so, you've become a better, more coherent writer.

9. MizBejabbers profile image91
    MizBejabbersposted 3 years ago

I reread but rarely just for fun. Sometimes I reread something because of a comment someone has made. I want to know exactly what I said before I reply. I also find myself rereading for errors in grammar and punctuation because although I proofread over and over again before I publish, I still find them. Just as I find them in hubs written by some of our best writing experts, in my own I find double periods or someplace I should have inserted a comma. I had one reader point out that I used the wrong verb tense, and I quickly corrected that. I am glad to have other writers inform me of my errors -- note I said "errors" because I had one reader who apparently doesn't understand style try to correct me. So yes, I reread my hubs.

10. gmwilliams profile image82
    gmwilliamsposted 3 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12236895_f260.jpg

Yes, I simply LOVE to re-read my hubs in the third person just for fun.  Yes, I ADMIT IT!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)