Hubpages Book of Poetry

Jump to Last Post 1-23 of 23 discussions (63 posts)
  1. Haunty profile image73
    Hauntyposted 14 years ago

Seeing all the wonderful poetry that people write here on Hubpages, I had this idea to create the Hubpages book of poetry, a book that contains a selection of poems written by you, hubber poets.

The book would serve two purposes:

Firstly, it would be a compendium of your fellow hubbers' poems that anyone can get hold of and put on his or her bookshelf to commemorate this wonderful community that we are all a part of now. I would like this book to still be with me after 20-30 years to remind me of the awesome people I met, their thought and words and what they stood for.

Secondly, the book would be sold at Lulu.com. The income generated by the sales might become a great help to a friend of mine who is trying to transfer their life's passion into a business that would serve a good charitable cause. I wouldn't keep any of the money, but donate it to this charitable cause.

So, I'd like to ask you, poet hubber, if you would approve of the creation of such a book and if you would offer some of your poems to be contained in it? Please, answer this thread or contact me via email, keeping in mind that links to self-owned hubs are not allowed in the forum. smile

1. wsp2469 profile image60
      wsp2469posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have had poetry published before but have never published any poetry hubs here.  I would like to contribute.  Perhaps we could do a hubmob on poetry sometime to amass some poetry more easily?  I assume we would all get free copies?  That could be the publisher's contribution.

2. profile image0
      SirDentposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I would like to sell you the Golden Gate bridge. It is here in my backyard.

2. Alessia Amnesia profile image60
    Alessia Amnesiaposted 14 years ago

Do the authors of said poems get a cut of the profit from the book or are you the sole benefactor from this idea?

3. maguijo profile image61
    maguijoposted 14 years ago

I'd be happy to donate a poem or two, but can you provide more details about the charitable cause you would donate the money to, and how the funds would be accounted for?

4. Alessia Amnesia profile image60
    Alessia Amnesiaposted 14 years ago

"Secondly, the book would be sold at Lulu.com. The income generated by the sales might become a great help to a friend of mine who is trying to transfer their life's passion into a business that would serve a good charitable cause. I wouldn't keep any of the money, but donate it to this charitable cause."

So your friend would be getting the money? I don't think I like this idea. I'm sure your friend can get a business grant or business loan. Why not donate the money from this book to a more worthwhile cause?

5. tantrum profile image59
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

I think 90% of the people here are no millionaires. Myself included.
    Why should I help someone I don't know to achieve some business?

In the name of what ?

1. blondepoet profile image67
      blondepoetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree.

6. Haunty profile image73

Alessia and maguijo -

I didn't provide more details, because I'm doing this on my own account. Not even my friend knows about it, so I can't say who they are or what the cause is. Of course, in the end they would know where the money is from, because I would tell them. All I can say is, it is a worthwhile cause. As for the money, since we are talking about a poetry book, I don't expect very high sales, - and so too much income.

So, those who are interested will offer a poem or two, and they will be in the book. Those who are not, won't. smile

All I ask is, if you want to be in the book, send me a poem and give me permission to include it.

1. profile image0
      Deborah Sextonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I've had two poems published in two different books. They sell for $59.95 and $69.99. So that's not a little money. There are a lot of people who buy these books. I got nothing for my poems except the recognition..Whoooopie!!

Hauntyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Wow. Sorry, I had no idea. smile

7. Haunty profile image73

tantrum and blondepoet -

You shouldn't if you don't want to. I'm just saying that I wouldn't keep any money, but would give it to someone who could use it to solve a social problem.

I think we should make a distinction here. It's not a business to make millionaires, but a business to make a living. And in my mind it is more worthwhile to support something that both helps someone make a living (read: pay for food and housing) and mends some social problem at the same time than just giving money to charity. smile

1. tantrum profile image59
      tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Excuse me.
      I don't even know your real name, nor your friend's.
      I don't know even what you look like.
      I don't know what kind of help are you talking about either !
      And,Do you think all the people that write here are doing well, economically speaking ?
      I know 3 or 4 that have a lot of money problems.
      I'd rather help them first than your friend.
      I think you should get real.

1. maguijo profile image61
        maguijoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree. This is too weird.

1. profile image0
          Home Girlposted 14 years agoin reply to this

it looks like everybody has "moneyproblems" beast sitting in his closet!

Yea. Some people make it look like I was asking for money. lol
            I was only asking if they wanted their poems published.

btw, the business seems to be already gone, so...

2. Haunty profile image73

I should get real? You seem to have a bone to pick with me ever since I argued with you in a thread in which you were supporting incest. You have no grounds to talk to me like that, tantrum. You are better off going back to play the village idiot. smile

8. 2uesday profile image65
    2uesdayposted 14 years ago

I am curious about how you will cope with the indigestion you suffer from when you read poetry. You mentioned it in the post about favourite poets three weeks ago. smile

big_smile

9. tantrum profile image59

lol

Not worth commenting.
    you just show what you are.

Why did you comment then? Oh wait... 12262 comments. That's more than 60 comments every single day you've been here. I see. That must be a record.

I comment because you're offending me .

I said  that between consenting adults, sex  among cousings was not wrong.

Even for the Catholic Church

'The Roman Catholic Church allows marriages farther than first cousins, and first-cousin marriages can be contracted with a dispensation'
        Wikipedia

So!

And anyway, what's in discussion here is your 'poetry book', not my opinion on 'sex between close relatives',which was the title of the thread.

Why don't you explain this Poetry Book thing then ?
        Not incest.!

I just brought this up because you were implying I was amoral. Btw, we are at the same thing right here.

Let me explain.

You are taking a big group with a lot of members, pick out some of the members and based on what's true for them you make generalizations for the whole group.

You say, sex between close relatives is ok, if it's two consenting adults, because it could be two cousins. But for goodness sake, father and daughter, mother and son are close relatives too. So how can you say it's ok in general?

Same here. You say, supporting a business is bad, because there are bad, greedy businessmen in the world. But hey, there are people, families in business who just try to do something to stay above the surface. People don't easily get jobs these days.

10. tantrum profile image59

BTW, I never suported incest.
    Why don't you read the threads properly!
    you're insulting me !

And show me where I argued with you!

So again. Get real !

11. tantrum profile image59

Show me where I said it was bad.

I only said I need you to explain.

You didn't give any details.
    If you think that asking you some explanation, means I think it's bad, is an assumption on your part.

I'm not going to argue with you about sex between close relatives.
    As you only brought this up to offend me, when I never offend you! If you think I did, show me where!
    why don't you explain your Book instead?
    I'm sure a lot of hubbers will be interested.

You offended me when you said get real, which means that I am fake. Being fake means that I am a liar. Being a liar means that I lied about the business when I said it served a good purpose. If I lied about that then it must serve a bad purpose.

Tantrum, everything you say has a meta message. It's not just the words you write, but the massage they carry and the judgments they imply.

12. tantrum profile image59

I will be waiting for you to show me where I said it was bad.
    I hate people accusing me of things I never said!
    it seems you're a Master on that !

13. tantrum profile image59

Get real means. Nobody can understand what you're talking about.
    so nobody can share their work with you.

That's all what 'get real' in this post means!!
    don't imagine things!
    If you do that ,that's not my problem.
    So again,Get real!!
    Until you explain what this book is about, nobody will do anything about it.

Good. Because the offer is gone. smile

and this is our 'argument'

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/30974?page=6#post665804

thank you for 'twisting' things !

14. Ohma profile image60
    Ohmaposted 14 years ago

Haunty,
    I think the point here is that we are all here to write to earn money. You are asking people to donate thier time, and work but not even offering a realistic explanation for where the donation is going. I for one do not mind sharing but I need much more info than "To help your friend start a business" It is a nice idea to want to help out a friend but you must keep in mind that our work with our names attached to it and no control over the final product or the money involved is simply an unrealistic request.
    I have read several of your hubs and it seems that you take pride in your writing but how bout lets put my adsense ID on a few of them OK?

At last a sensible hubber !
      Thanks !! smile

Ohma,

I asked if people wanted some of their already written poems in a book like that. No more no less. I didn't ask anybody to do anything for me.

Also, I didn't know poets were writing for money.

1. mega1 profile image81
        mega1posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh, come on now!  People here aren't going to believe this! You are either way ignorant of writers in general, or HP and the people here, or of poets - who often make their living being poets!  I think you need to get more info before you pursue this project - you need to know more about poets and the people you are asking for this favor.

3. profile image0

Good point.

15. tantrum profile image59

SO, WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO EXPLAIN THIS BOOK, INSTEAD OF ARGUING WITH ME FOR POINTING OUT YOUR MISTAKES ?

16. mega1 profile image81
    mega1posted 14 years ago

well, Haunty, I agree with Tantrum and others - you won't get much from us for nothing, and no explanation - sorry!

17. tantrum profile image59

the thing that angers me more is, that because I pointed out this to him, he brought forward a thread, where I never argued with him at all! I just went through it to see ,where. It never occurred!

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/30974?page=6#post665804

this is all there's to it !

No. That's not all there is to it. It's deception. One needs to go back to earlier in that thread to see what it is about.

Earlier I wasn't talking to you. I was playing with some friends, and making scandalous remarks to see where people would go. I do that a lot.
        anyway, I didn't say anything for which I have to feel bad.
        I only overreacted a bit, as I said ,to see what would happen.

18. mega1 profile image81
    mega1posted 14 years ago

ah well, that totally makes up my mind about the project, won't waste anymore time with it!

1. mega1 profile image81

This is a good example of exactly what I was talking about on the thread about "does anything annoy you about the forums" or something like that -   I said that it annoys me that people ask for opinions and then can't accept opinions that differ from their own so they start arguing, and it is just a total waste of time!  I like reading people's opinions but I'm not going to try to change their minds!  Sometimes I revise my own opinion a little because someone brings up something important that I hadn't thought of before - but it really has a lot to do with how well people LISTEN to each other and how accepting they can be - and that is interesting to me, it reveals their personalities.  So I won't try to change Haunty, but I think the approach was misguided, and does offend some of us who are struggling when we are asked to just give away a poem.  Hell, I won't even participate in the "women's" hub to publicize our work because I think it is a bit of a rip off.  anyhow - no way to spend an otherwise nice day! huh!

19. profile image0
    Justine76posted 14 years ago

wow. It was just an idea for a way to help a friend out. I understand that everyone wants to see the results of thier own work. If you dont want to be included in this project, thats perfectly understandable, but its not really a reason to get upset.
    I have a question thats probably lame, but....if you did want to help, you email one poem, its then up to Haunty to do the actual compiling of everything. So, that would take me about 20 minutes. Including setting up my computer and waiting for internet service, then emailing. Im not seeing where thats such a big deal even if all procedes actually went to purchase Haunty's new pet. But would the poem now be 'copied content' if left as a hub?

1. mega1 profile image81

Good points - but #1 when I published something I want to be the one who controls how it gets published or get paid or know the person who is using it very well #2 don't you think it isn't very respectful of us to not even tell us exactly what the "charity" is?  "A friend's new business" doesn't sound like a charity to me #3 why not question people when they ask something of us?  if they respond with their backs up about it, then that puts up a big red flag for me!

I agree !

Justine, it was just an idea to help someone we both know. You probably know what that is, but under no circumstances will I ever tell anyone, because as I said I would have done this on my all account without my friend's knowing. And so they have nothing to do with it.

Apart from that, I don't see how it's a big thing either. smile

1. profile image0
        Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

i saw it as a yes or no question. would you like to publish a poem..if not...great..if yes..contact haunty.  oh well.
        you know ill mail you.
        the thing is, nobody wants to feel they have been taken as a fool. red cross donations are considered 'safe' yet nameless homeless old women begging for change are a nuisance and somebody else's problem.

True enough. I'd been thinking about this for weeks before I posted it. I was not sure. Looks like it was a mistake. smile

3. tantrum profile image59

Are you serious justine ?
      Maybe as Haunty say, you know who this friend is and what this book is about ?

Even if she knows, which I'm not sure of, she won't tell you.

2. profile image0

And Justine I don't believe the hard work everyone is speaking of is the 20 minutes to compile everything. It can take hours, even weeks to create a poem. Many times it is about a personal situation..so this person wants us to hand over our copyright material with no contract, no money and not even knowing what it will really be used for...OK I'm in...NOT..

I agree with you again !

1. profile image0

Wow, two or three times already tongue smile

Not very hard to agree on this one ! Only common sense !
              big_smile

1. profile image0

Oh and I thought we were starting to be hub friends.neutral
                Taurus http://www.millan.net/minimations/smileys/tauruss.gif  Scorpio http://www.millan.net/minimations/smileys/scorpios.gif friends

My son is a Libra http://www.millan.net/minimations/smileys/libras.gif Sept. 28

2. profile image0

of course you dont have too
          every single one of my hubs is deeply personal
          i was just saying for me its no big deal to email something ive already written
          sorry if it came out wrong.

1. profile image0

No reason to say you're sorry to me. I was just explaining why your request is so upsetting.

3. profile image0

oh, i feel another nasty forum stretch coming on
        i just mean, it was an idea geniunely motivated by a good heart, and it came out all wrong in the wording. i 100 percent get it that no one has money to spare. so, just do what you need too. some hubbers are not here for money, and i honestly dont see the harm in asking. does that make sense? im not well today...so please be patient...i HATE it when 2 people im friends with fight.....

20. profile image0
    A Texanposted 14 years ago

Philanthropic bunch aintcha

21. bojanglesk8 profile image59
    bojanglesk8posted 14 years ago

That would be awesome.
    Let's do this.

22. mega1 profile image81
    mega1posted 14 years ago

Haunty - you must think a little more about what you say on these forums! for everyone gets a very good idea of what kind of person you are - it also occurs to me, that HubPages is a business with a registered name, and will want to have something to say about who and why the HubPages name is used, or were you thinking of using it?  You see how complicated publishing a book of poems is? (of anyone's poems, by the way, not just HP people)

23. profile image0
    Justine76posted 14 years ago

oh....somethings off here
    i never meant to imply anyone should turn over something for nothing. My poems dont make any money here. perhaps everyone else has better sucess. Im going back to 'free rice' now. I am sorry if by saying I know Haunty didnt mean to sound tricky, I came across as offensive. Have a good night everyone.

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)