Writing Contest winners?

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (40 posts)
  1. abcd1111 profile image61
    abcd1111posted 14 years ago

With all the writers to survey here, I wondered if ANY have ever won a writing contest?

More specifically, I was wondering if anyone has ever won a cash prize for a contest you paid to enter? An example would be for one of Writers's Digest contests or something similar?

I have only submitted to a couple of contests and hesitantly because I wonder if there is a connection to any of the winners and the judges. I hate paying to enter, but understand the need for the prize money.

I would love to know of a legitimate winner.

1. A.I.D.Y profile image61
      A.I.D.Yposted 14 years agoin reply to this

yes.

2. jellydonut25 profile image61
    jellydonut25posted 14 years ago

Once upon a time I won a bike from a free contest...

that was like 10 years ago though...

abcd1111posted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's a very decent prize from a free contest!  Congrats for that.

Have you entered any contests since then?

3. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

nope have yet to win a writing contest sad

Sorry to hear that Crazd. Do you wonder if they're legit as well?

1. profile image0
        Crazdwriterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yea I do. I am thinking of maybe entering one for writer's digest since I know they are legit...maybe sometime this year if I get teh chance to write another short story or something smile

I hope you do!

4. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

Never entered a contest with regards to writing. Was never felt the need to be entered. lol lol lol

5. Maddie Ruud profile image71
    Maddie Ruudposted 14 years ago

I won a few writing contests as a child.  Prizes were books and electronics and things.

6. Sue Adams profile image93
    Sue Adamsposted 14 years ago

I have never joined a writing contest.
    Why not start one here on  HubPages? But who would make the rules?

And who would be the impartial judges?

I have no idea how it could be done. Any takers?

7. IvyCrenshaw profile image59
    IvyCrenshawposted 14 years ago

I won several as a child, and one on Helium.

8. RedElf profile image88
    RedElfposted 14 years ago

Congratulations, Ivy!

9. manlypoetryman profile image80
    manlypoetrymanposted 14 years ago

I won third in some poetry contest from a link to a link of a Writer's Web Site off of Craigs List...never did get the 20 or 25 dollar check I was suppose to have won...lol Which reminds me...what was their name again...? (I want my 20 dollars lol !!)

10. profile image0
    Pani Midnyte Odinposted 14 years ago

I won a coloring contest once when I was about 8 years old. I won a new box of crayons.

I also won a poetry contest in 9th grade, but all I "won" was the chance to buy a copy of the book it was published in.

There are a good many "contests" where your prize is being able to buy the book publishing your work. More of a scam. (Not to take away from your win, but that's a trick to make money.)

1. profile image0
        Pani Midnyte Odinposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That would be why I put the word won in quotes...

I apologize Pani Midnyte Odin for restating the obvious. I just hate "contests" like that.  I didn't mean to insult you.

Thanks so much for responding to my original query.

11. Meghan Fitz profile image67
    Meghan Fitzposted 14 years ago

Once, I won a writing contest about Hilary Swank. A local blog ask for haiku submissions about Hilary's beauty. I won free tickets to see a lecture with Hilary Swank!

Here is my winning submission smile

H. Swank in my dreams
    Considering a big switch
    To the other team

I've actually been published in a couple haiku journals/articles. Your "Swanku" is delightful!

12. blondepoet profile image68
    blondepoetposted 14 years ago

Yes I came second in a Mills and Boons writing comp, that ran across NZ and Australia through New Idea. Woo hoo!!!

That sounds huge. Congrats Blondepoet!

13. livewithrichard profile image71
    livewithrichardposted 14 years ago

I won one in the 4th grade and after being a smart ass to my teacher. She gave us a writing assignment which I didn't want to do and when she came to me, seen that I wasn't writing and asked why. I replied "I don't know, what do think I have, a magic pencil that can just make up a story as I go?" I expected a trip to the principal's office for that remark, either way I was getting out of the assignment.  She replied, something like "Wow, that's an amazing story I can't wait to read it when you finish." The bulb turned on right then and I finished my "Magic Pencil" story which she entered into a community writing contest and I won 4 tickets to Six Flags Great America.

Now THAT's a great story!

14. frogdropping profile image76
    frogdroppingposted 14 years ago

Never entered one. My daughter's won a short story contest, which was published and has two poems nestled between the front and back cover of a book.

Maybe she's destined to become a writer. Unlike me smile

Congrats to your daughter, frogdropping. I'm sure she gets her talent from somewhere...

15. Ohma profile image60
    Ohmaposted 14 years ago

Me never. My grandson won a diamond chip necklace in the second grade for writing a mother's day story. His mom abandoned him years ago so he wrote the story about me. The company running the contest was a large jewlery company here and the appreciated his honesty on the subject.

Sweet. I hope you still have the necklace. That's the best win I've heard about yet.

1. Ohma profile image60
        Ohmaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I sure do! It means very much to me.

16. KCC Big Country profile image83
    KCC Big Countryposted 14 years ago

I have entered two writing contests in the last two years and I was one of 25 runners-up behind the top 3 cash prize winners in the first one I entered.  All 25 of us rec'd a book bag, 2 books, lip gloss, a scented candle, and a nice personalized note.  The top 3 had their stories published online.  The runners up only got the title of their story and their name published on the website.

Well that's better than most entrants get I'm sure. Were you able to read the winning entries?

1. KCC Big Country profile image83
        KCC Big Countryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes, they were all posted online.

17. Sara Tonyn profile image60
    Sara Tonynposted 14 years ago

I won a pony.

Nope. Wait. That was for playing baseball and it wasn't a pony it was a free pizza at Chuck E. Cheese.

I'm going to bet you deserved a pony, but preferred the pizza anyway!

1. Sara Tonyn profile image60
        Sara Tonynposted 14 years agoin reply to this

True dat.

This is why you're my best imaginary friend. You know me so well.

18. diamondzulusa profile image56
    diamondzulusaposted 14 years ago

yes i won one time

Would you be willing to elaborate?  I am interested in someone who has had a positive experience and might be able to dispel some of my cynicism.

19. profile image0
    mtsi1098posted 14 years ago

In the 6th grade I won an essay contest on the town I grew up in...So I decided to go into computers smile

Good choice!  smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)