WRITING "STICK TO WHAT YOU KNOW OR LET YOUR MIND DO THE WRITING"?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (24 posts)
  1. mizzjanique29 profile image60
    mizzjanique29posted 13 years ago

Personally when i write i use a little of both things i have been through in the past as well as thoughts that pass through my mind. I find that this makes for an interesting and intense novel for readers; However lately i've been hearing that the key to a fantastic novel is only writing about the things you know. I don't agree with method of writing, i feel we all need to imagine and fantasize more; especially when reading there is enough drama in the world on a day to day basis, so when i write i want to just let my mind wonder...WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK ABOUT THIS METHOD

1. Era Pteros profile image65
      Era Pterosposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Why restrict yourself to what is in the forefront of your mind instead of letting it wander?

Did you know that cartographers of the Middle Ages labeled uncharted land on maps with "There might be monsters here."

2. profile image0
      Amie Warrenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have a hard time getting motivated sometimes, so I keep a list of topics that I write down as I think of them. Then I try to write hub topics off of those.  I even bought a program to help me, but it was too much trouble, so I just use pen and paper. Somehow, it's more real for me if I write it down.

2. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Stick with what you know or do research to back up other things you are not all to familiar with. smile

1. mizzjanique29 profile image60
      mizzjanique29posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes research is always a must....this i do agree with whole heartedly, smile

3. Rafini profile image81
    Rafiniposted 13 years ago

I used to wonder...what do I know that I can write about?  Now that I have my answer, I have to ask myself...who would want to read what I know I can write about?

This question doesn't bother me anymore.  The answer is irrelevant.  I'll write what I know, whether or not anyone wants to read it because it's what I know and understand, and I need to get it out of my system.  If someone wants to read it, it'll  be a bonus - just like it'd be a bonus if I ever earned any money from HubPages.  smile

1. PegCole17 profile image94
      PegCole17posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I love this response.

1. Rafini profile image81
        Rafiniposted 13 years agoin reply to this

big_smile  ty, it's the truth.  I have to admit, though, I certainly would enjoy earning a living by writing.  It is my goal.

2. themist profile image59
      themistposted 13 years agoin reply to this

definately agree with this.

3. Pcunix profile image92
      Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I feel the same way.

I make enough money not to care whether something is going to add to the pile.  I do not mean that I could not make good use of more money (and if I cannot, my wife can) but that the need to say what I need to say trumps money every time.

4. Stacie L profile image84
    Stacie Lposted 13 years ago

I used to help adults learners relax and write whatever came to their mind and not to worry about grammar, punctuation,etc.
    That works for a short time but eventually your writing has to make some sense.
    Fantasy is fun but information is king.

5. Polly C profile image86
    Polly Cposted 13 years ago

I think it depends on what you are writing. I almost never use my own experiences as the main focus for writing ficticious material because I prefer to write about things from other people's perspective, and put myself in their shoes instead (or try to, anyway). However, I think most writers must draw on their own experiences of life in some ways.

6. Flightkeeper profile image67
    Flightkeeperposted 13 years ago

I write what comes to mind.  How it comes out is the challenge big_smile

7. sugz profile image66
    sugzposted 13 years ago

i think it's totally upto the individual.. for me, my mind tells me what to write. it depends wether i am writing fiction or non-fiction, but eitherway, it comes from the hidden depths of my mind where there's a stack of un-chartered territory that is yet to be explored. i'm happy throwing at the keyboard words that i have no idea where they came from and so far, all of my novels have formed that way. my non-fiction.. well they have still begun the same way, they're just actual facts within a story that reguardless of anything.. is itching to be told. smile

follow your instinct.. it will lead you up the garden path but you will find a result that is pleasing to yourself and many others reguardless.

8. 4elements profile image64
    4elementsposted 13 years ago

I think you should write what you know as well as use your imagination.That to me is what makes a story.I love writing,I write poetry, short stories. i even have a complete story in my computer that is saved i just don't know where to go from there, so it justs sits there.

1. sugz profile image66
      sugzposted 13 years agoin reply to this

i'm not sure if i can put this in here, but i just threw a hub up that you might be able to use for your story. anyone can go and use the program, it's free and it's not an affiliate site so there's no crazy links.
      good luck smile

2. sofs profile image75
      sofsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Take what you know and blend it with imagination, take imagination into realms that you have second hand knowledge about through  reading or hear say.. but write what the reader wants to hear so what you have written is read!
      what is a story that is unread is no better than feelings that you have not expressed

1. sugz profile image66
        sugzposted 13 years agoin reply to this

very well said sofs.

i think many of us are guilty for having somthing unread aren't we? i know i am, often it is the fear of the unknown that holds us back from sharing, that  unspoken fear of someone critiscising our works leaving the uncertainty of what lies ahead..
        leaping into that unknown can be hard for many.. perhaps we shoudl encourage people like 4elements to place a few chapters on hubs.. to break the ice and get the confidence to jump in boots and all..?

9. Tusitala Tom profile image66
    Tusitala Tomposted 13 years ago

The advice to write about what you know, probably means to place the background of your stories in worlds that you've experienced.  For example, I doubt a person whose never worked in a hospital, been a medico of some sort, could write a really interesting story set against a backdrop of hospital life.  Or if you've never driven a heavy rig on the open highways, could you write authentically about a truckers life. 

What is being said here is if, for example, you've worked in an office environment, holidayed in certain locations, gone to school, college or university in areas common to many, set you short story, or novel against those backdrops.

One reason writers such as Hemingway, John Steinbeck, Somerset Maughan could write so well with stories based against so many romantic backdrops is that they travelled and lived in those countries.

I think you'll get the message.

10. couturepopcafe profile image60
    couturepopcafeposted 13 years ago

Always write what you know.  You can't do anything else.  You can't write until you 'know' the alphabet.  You can't tell a story until you know the story, even if you make it up as you go.  When someone writes on a subject with which they are not familiar, the finished product is quite obviously and usually very much flawed.  The same topic could be successful if the unknown subject matter were researched, sometimes deeply through books,etc., sometimes by living in and soaking up an environment.  Police procedurals are usually not written by former cops but by writers who have done a lot of research.  Writing what you know can be as simple as making your home town the setting for your fiction.  Or creating a character who draws heavily from your own experience.  It doesn't necessarily mean you have to be an expert on any particular subject.

11. kalixao profile image61
    kalixaoposted 13 years ago

I never got very far writing from what I know. I use a structural approach of my own for poetry and songs, writing about what I observe and leaving the interpretation up to the reader. So, it's more like writing what I perceive, than what I know. Usually, this leads to prose, though, which is a lot more concrete than anything I write from personal experience or memory.

12. profile image0
    china manposted 13 years ago

Actually you can only write from what you know.  If you write about factual things (like the hospital mentioned above) but only from your imagination you lose any credibility as soon as someone finnds a glaring error.

Directly writing what comes into your head is ok, but I would suggest that you put it away for a week or so and then re-write it in better English and change the things that are not clear.  Raw writing is hard to read and usually displays your own areas of confusion along with any nuggets of good stuff.

The first rule is that you are writing for it to be read, otherwise you are writing for your own amusement only.

13. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 13 years ago

I am wondering now, although of course I know its useless to wonder, whether your mind knows something you don't!

Ideas for my hubs come to me when I'm just doing anything at all or right before I fall asleep - whatever my mind is wandering around on I want to write about - of course, I don't write about every little thing - I forget some of my best ideas.  I try to jot down a note now and then to remind me.  Then, there's always a bunch of research to do and sometimes I find the subject has been pretty much covered and I drop it.  Other times, I see people have written good stuff but not from the same angle as me.  I usually try to "make it mine"  - add some personal content and stuff.  You don't need to worry so much - just write - but make sure you get the facts right and you aren't putting out some bogus info that will confuse people.  I really hate when I read something hoping to get real and useful info and instead I get info I know is wrong and misleading.

14. victoria brothers profile image57
    victoria brothersposted 13 years ago

when i do my hub it come from insperaysion of my mind a nd what i can fouces on

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)