Selling Poetry on Poetry.com

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (19 posts)
  1. row777 profile image61
    row777posted 12 years ago

I've come across Poetry.com through another website helping poets to make money from and publish their poetry. Poetry.com has you submit up to 4 poems per submission and they pay $150 per poem. So I was wondering if there was anybody out there who has used Poetry.com before or another website like it?

2. 2uesday profile image65
    2uesdayposted 12 years ago

Well, I am wondering if they pay $150 per poem and they have 14,000,000 poems on there how are they making a profit?

3. R.S. Hutchinson profile image69
    R.S. Hutchinsonposted 12 years ago

About 10 years ago, Poetry.com took a few of my poems and published them in an anthology. I never received  a dime but was asked to purchase the books. I contacted them, no answer. For me, It was a scam. The fact that they are still around, means maybe they aren't a scam; however, I do not trust them and would advise going the route of self publish.

1. couturepopcafe profile image61
      couturepopcafeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

They make or have in the past made a profit by selling the anthologies to the authors and their families. It's like vanity publishing, the author just want's to see his name in print. I think it may have worked 20 years ago but not as much today. Could be wrong. I know they've been around for some 20-30 yrs.

4. Hyphenbird profile image81
    Hyphenbirdposted 12 years ago

I have not seen anything that mentions payment for poetry. This seems to be a website community where writers can post. No payment is offered or given. The terms of Service include a waiver of lawsuit options. I would proceed with caution.

5. row777 profile image61
    row777posted 12 years ago

Thanks guys, your feedback is much appreciated. I think i'm going to go the route of creating an Ebook.

6. HattieMattieMae profile image60
    HattieMattieMaeposted 12 years ago

I had one poem published through there once, and you end up paying for the book of 50.00 at the time. They make money off you, and never was paid for the poem. Just a scam I think mostly! smile

7. HattieMattieMae profile image60
    HattieMattieMaeposted 12 years ago

Shouldn't say it's a scam, the book is nice, but think they are just after your work to make them money! smile

8. babstu profile image60
    babstuposted 12 years ago

ok  it will be fun if they can pay what they promise to pay and also make their own income.

9. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

Old poetry.com was a branch of Watermark and basically a scam. They closed a few years ago and the domain named was bought by the self-publishing company lulu.com. They are a display site and they do not pay--let alone 150 bucks!

1. WryLilt profile image88
      WryLiltposted 12 years agoin reply to this

This.

10. profile image0
    Home Girlposted 12 years ago

I sent them an old limerick of mine I think around year 2007. After that for a year and a half they've been praising me, asking me to buy this and that, all kind of memorabilia and the anthology with my limerick included, but I did not have at that time any money to send them, so everything ended in nothing, for me at least. So I don't know if it is a scam or not.

11. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

In 2007 it was a scam.  These days it is a just a vanity outfit (under different ownership).

12. LoriSoard profile image64
    LoriSoardposted 12 years ago

Long-time scam. Publish them yourself. Remember that the money should always flow to the writer and not away from the writer. The only exception is when you self-publish, but please don't pay someone thousands of dollars to publish something for you. You can easily do it yourself for a fraction of that and maintain complete control.

13. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 12 years ago

Poetry Foundation is a reputable literary website and publishes the magazine Poetry.
    You can submit poems there, but it's not easy to be published. Here is a link. http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poetrym … ubmissions

It's also a good site to read decent poetry.

Poetry.com is a scam, money making site.

Was a scam. Now owned by LuLu

14. profile image0
    paxwillposted 12 years ago

Reputable literary magazines don't pay that much for poetry because there's less of a market for it than there is for short stories or novels.  If a publisher is offering that much for individual poems, you should be suspicious.

15. WriteAngled profile image73
    WriteAngledposted 12 years ago

Many years ago, I sent them a piece of doggerel (perfectly rhymed and metrically consistent doggerel may I add!) about how they were a scam. They emailed to say how much they loved my poem and had decided to publish it lol

It would have been hilarious to buy the book and thus ensure my doggerel appeared in whatever number of copies are produced for each bunch of victims, but I resisted the temptation.

big_smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)