I wrote an award-winning ebook...

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (19 posts)
  1. Johnathan L Groom profile image33
    Johnathan L Groomposted 13 years ago

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/5314419_f248.jpg
    Wow.-  I spend like a half/year writing it, and that is all.....and it's original-
    -johnathan-
    Now how is it I market it?  lol ???

2. basaltbezel profile image58
    basaltbezelposted 13 years ago

You can start a website for it, publish it to Kindle and Nook, guest blog post about it and get reviews from people in the topical field related to the book.

3. Johnathan L Groom profile image33

OK- can't afford a site, already published it to amazon's Kindle, already guest blogged blahblah-  looking for something refreshing!
    -johnathan-

1. Stacie L profile image88
      Stacie Lposted 13 years agoin reply to this

so what awards have you won for this book?

1. CMHypno profile image84
        CMHypnoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, what awards have you won? And spending a half year writing a book is not very long, you know.

You need to follow the good advice you have been given in this thread and if you truly believe that you have written the best book the world has ever seen, start telling people why and selling it a bit more

2. psycheskinner profile image76
      psycheskinnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You can start a free website. It really isn't difficult. Just go to Blogger, Wordpress or Freewebs and follow the instructions.

If you make almost no effort at all on your blurb, cover, promotion or indeed forum posts--why would we assume the book is any good?

4. basaltbezel profile image58
    basaltbezelposted 13 years ago

Can't afford a site?

You can get hostgator hosting for $7-$10/month (unlimited domains) and a domain name costs about $10 a year. One click install Wordpress and you're on  your way.

5. IzzyM profile image88
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

Here's a tip.

I write book review sites, (hey that sounds good!) and what I look for when I go to Amazon is a few words telling me what the book is about, for starters.

I went to Amazon just now and got told the immortal words "The Best Book you Will Ever Read" - all capitalized, like a title, and absolutely NO INFORMATION at all about the book.

Your first step should be to get over there and SELL your book. Give surfers or searchers something to digest. Tell them something, not just The Best Book you Will Ever read, which tells them nothing.

What is the book about?

6. Johnathan L Groom profile image33

yes...
    -johnathan-
    or no,,,?  yeah, no....sorta right?

7. Lissie profile image76
    Lissieposted 13 years ago

how many posts have you started on the same topic - I just replied here http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/79762

It took you 1/2  a year to write what can't amount to much more than a few thousand words --- words fail me really

1. SOE profile image65
      SOEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Successful troll is successful.

8. Johnathan L Groom profile image33

it is ten-thousand words and unbelievably realistic and no, I did not win an awrard and am not going to be on Conan O'Brien lol.  the idea is that the attention span of the average person reading a thread is usually like sixty-seconds (literally) so selling it isn't hard... it's hard to get readers to listen.

ok, the concept,
    everyday u come up with some interesting thought, but u forget it!
    think book is YOUR interesting thoughts, I am willing to bet...
    -johnathan-

*holed up in a car for six months intentionally with $10 to start, interesting

9. Johnathan L Groom profile image33

*award*, and I thought most hubbers were open-minded and literate lol-
    this concept is awesome, and it has received a lot of clout and crowd participation.  if u are from Connecticut, u should probably own it already because it is the best + worst of you...
    -johnathan

1. IzzyM profile image88
      IzzyMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Johnathan, what is your book about?

10. psycheskinner profile image76
    psycheskinnerposted 13 years ago

I sell a lot of ebooks, I buy a lot of ebooks, I review a lot of self-published books, and I have a pretty open mind. But you aren't doing a good job of presenting, pricing or selling this one.

Are you really interested in learning more about how to make money from ebooks, or do you just want to keep on starting threads in the vain hope it might work as stealth spam?

1. ThussaysNanaMarie profile image61
      ThussaysNanaMarieposted 13 years agoin reply to this

i am writing a book at the moment and i have learnt alot already

11. perfumer profile image63
    perfumerposted 13 years ago

First make a kindle version of your book and list your kindle book on Amazon and let Amazon make your book known to the world.

12. Johnathan L Groom profile image33

read this thread lol:  Is $3.99 too much for an eBook? Will anyone buy my eBook- it's good!
    -it's helpful to your pronounced judements and misgivings...  do you read those eBooks u buy or do u just argue w/ them lol
    -johnathan-
    (because unfortunatly, I talk back...)

1. Urbane Chaos profile image94
      Urbane Chaosposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Alright man, here's the deal:

1.) By posting several different threads, saying things such as, "I talk back", and not presenting yourself as a serious, professional author, you are simply dissuading people from buying (or even taking a look) at your book.

2.) Serious authors represent themselves as serious authors.  Sentences such as "How can I get you to read my *&(@#$ eBook?! It's so good man..." only promote the idea that either you're still an immature kid, or that you're woefully uneducated.  I'm not saying that either one of these is accurate, that's just how the title of the post makes you appear.  For an author, when his/her reputation is at stake, each word they write is measured before it is put to paper. 

3.) You have not presented this book, nor marketed it in a positive way.  If you expect to earn money from it, you absolutely must take the time to learn how to market it.  Just focusing on your Amazon page, there are a number of things that would hinder your sales.  First and foremost, your description of the book, "The Best Book you Will Ever Read.", tells nothing about the book, nor does it entice people to buy the book.  There are millions of books out there where the author claims the same thing, so what makes yours different?  This is something you need to show people.  Your description also reflects on your writing, which shows very little.  Next, the image cover of your book is one of the main marketing tools that you can use.  Sloppy, amateur looking book covers only signifies that the writing will also be sloppy and amateurish.  Your title, "The Curb and I: The Art of the Homeless", should also be reflected on the cover picture.  The cover picture you chose shows someones back yard.  I have never seen nor heard of someone who claims to be homeless having a back yard.

4.) Looking elsewhere online, there is nothing that signifies that you are a serious author.  There have been no reviews - other than your own - that give a positive rating to your book.  The websites on which you promote your book are very blase, and do not generate any excitement at all.  Further, randomly posting links to your book through Facebook and other sites is generally seen as "spam", and will be ignored by most regular computer users.  As your book is published online, this essentially cuts your potential customers down to nil.

I'm not saying this to be mean, but rather, to help you understand why you are not gaining positive sales.  From what I've seen, $3.99 is extremely over-priced.  In fact, if it was a free e-book, I would still pass it over.

So, my suggestion is this: Leave these threads be - no sense in alienating more potential customers.  Focus on re-branding your book, as well as your image.  And educate yourself on the art of online marketing and publishing.

In addition, I would take a second look at your book.  For most authors, it takes a lot of time and dedication before bringing a book to market.  The easy part is the writing - anyone can do that; but where a true author shines through is in his/her skill at editing.  Typically, a book can easily be edited 20-30 times before it's even remotely ready to publish.  If you don't put in the time to make sure that it's as ready as it'll ever get, you'll never make a positive name for yourself.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)