jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (9 posts)

Do you laugh even if you do not understand the joke?

1. jainismus profile image70
    jainismusposted 5 years ago

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/6253620_f248.jpg
    Some times, we do not understand a joke. What do you do in such situation? Do you laugh just because others are laughing?

1. prettydarkhorse profile image65
      prettydarkhorseposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I still laugh because I didn't understand it and that makes me laugh. Usually my vocabulary is too structured, I can't get the local lingo specially when they deliver the joke in a fast manner. When I was in Tx, I giggle or smile at the way the local talk, cute and nice accent. And now I am at the east coast, still I usually say, please repeat and explain it. I still don't get a lot of humor specially from different culture. I usually laugh at the slightest jokes though.

2. plaid pages profile image59
      plaid pagesposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Every time!  Who wants to be the moron who doesn't get it?  Not me.  I'm much too sophisticated to let anyone see my dumb side.  I can pull it off too! 

I can keep the poker face until I get home and have to admit to the mirror:  I didn't get it.

3. Shinkicker profile image97
      Shinkickerposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Yeah! I laugh and then at the same time frantically rack my brain to work it out in case they ask "Do you get it?" LOL

2. Lady_E profile image81
    Lady_Eposted 5 years ago

I do out of politeness..... especially if the person keeps quiet after telling the joke and waits for my response. My brain says: "it's time to laugh." lol.

Sometimes it happens if the person telling the joke is not a fluent english speaker and sometimes when I am in "la la" land. (a world of my own)

3. rebekahELLE profile image90
    rebekahELLEposted 5 years ago

he he ~~  sometimes ~~ usually people can tell if I didn't get it, but it's never the same 'funny' if someone has to explain it. big_smile

4. Lisa HW profile image80
    Lisa HWposted 5 years ago

I'm incapable of fake-laughing.  If I could fake-laugh I suppose I would, but I can't. Because I can't fake-laugh, I usually try to think up some gracious way of trying to convince the person that I'm the one with the problem - not his joke.  I say stuff like, "Don't mind me.  My head was off in another direction when you mentioned ______________," or "Don't mind me.  I'm clueless when it comes to __________."  They may or may not believe that it "was me, and not the joke", but it's the best I can think up to do.

5. vmartinezwilson profile image88
    vmartinezwilsonposted 5 years ago

I'm right there with you Lisa, I can't laugh at a fake joke if I wanted to.  I do this stare as my brain works overtime in an attempt to get it.  I just say, "Don't get it." or "I get it, but yeah...good try."  That's usually to my husband whose jokes are infamously bad or based on novels I haven't read.

6. Journey * profile image89
    Journey *posted 5 years ago

Yeah, I feel foolish for doing so but I do sometimes. The worst thing though is when I have been in a group of non english speakers. They are laughing and I am laughing too and I don't even understand their language! Pitiful I know.

working