- Books, Literature, and Writing
Graphic Novel Reviews: Superman The Greatest Stories Ever Told
Graphic Novel Reviews Part 4: Superman The Greatest Stories Ever Told Vol. 1
This is my fourth review and first that the book is not entirely one story. And, some of the artwork, is not up to today's standards. But, the stories are well the "greatest". We get ten stories in this first volume starting off with the very first origin story where it explained how each of his powers work. Of course some of his later powers like heat/x-ray vision and super breath were not explained. In fact he didn't even fly back then, just leaped tall buildings.
There are also a few more stories that revolve around Superman's origin from his first time wearing a costume to his short lived time on krypton. Each story shows how the man of steel changes from the art to his actions he takes.
These Stories are definitly best for a superman fan. But, if you're getting into comics there's no better way to learn a character by picking up a few of these. Each story you get to read in this novel is listed below with my thoughts on it or just a brief plot summary.
List Of The Ten Stories and The Year Originally Published:
1. The Origin of Superman & His Powers -1939
- This is the one that I mentioned above that is a really short tale of Superman's origin. The Fast Forward Version.
2. What If Superman Ended The War? -1940
- Did you know Superman Fought in the war? Well he did, in less than a hour both Stalin and Hitler were in his grasp. Effectivley ending World War 2.
3. Three Supermen From Krypton! -1950
- The original evil three. A version of Zod and the display of the Phantom Zone are first thought of here. With the evil three being three evil scientist brothers from Krypton and the Phantom Zone being a space ship prison.
4. The Last Days Of Superman -1962
- When I read this I already knew of only one instance of the Man of Steel actually dying. But, this one had a nice twist and a funny reason why he was dying.
5. The ShowDown Between Luthor And Superman -1963
- This showdown is like no other. We actually get to see Superman and Luthor go toe to toe in a real fight. A destination that put them on equal ground also shows another side to Lex that is rarely seen.
6. Must There Be A Superman? -1972
- The Guardians of the Galaxy make Superman realize he can't do everything for humanity. And, brings up the question. Is Superman actually hurting societies growth instead of helping it? But, there is always a compromise as you'll find out.
7. The Exile At The Edge Of Eternity -1984
- This one gives you a glimpse into Superman's Legacy what the world is like after Superman has died.
8. The Man of Steel -1986
- The Long version of Superman's orgin story from his departure from krypton to his first time dawning the red cape. Great story of how he found out he was not only Clark Kent, but and Alien from a distant planet.
9. Return To Krypton -1988
- With the help of Hawkman and Hawkgirl, Superman returns to krpton. Or what was once Krypton. And, has visions of Jor-El his father and learns something about his own mortality.
10. What's So Funny About Truth, Justice, And The American Way? -2001
- This one is one of the greatest in my opinion. Superman takes on the Elite. And, shows you just how far he can take things if he took the easy way out. There is even a animated version of this story, called "Superman vs The Elite"
Fourth of Several Graphic Novel Reviews
This was my fourth graphic novel review. I have one more graphic novel review to do until I buy some more. Next one will be of the book "Superman: Our Worlds At War"
More Greatest Stories Ever Told
There are many more of these types of novels for Batman and Wonder Woman as well. Here is some more that include Superman click one to browse the rest.
Want more great stories check this one out.
Gotta love this pairing. Many more greatest stories books to find.
What’s So Funny About Truth, Justice, And The American Way?
This is the Superman vs The Elite Trailer that I mentioned is in this novel.