jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Anyone know how to get fiber glass splinters out of your hands?

1. _cheryl_ profile image80
    _cheryl_posted 8 years ago

Anyone know how to get fiber glass splinters out of your hands?

Our basketball hoop was knocked over by the wind this afternoon, and my older son was picking it up- well my younger one (3yr. old) the big helper he is, tried to help pick it up. Since then he's been complaining of his hands hurting. I've washed them off with warm water and soap, even used a washcloth, but no success. I notice under light it almost seems like he has glitter on his hands, my husband thinks it's fiberglass due to the rim/net he might've touched. Any suggestions?

2. KeithTax profile image74
    KeithTaxposted 8 years ago

I hate it when that happens. In most cases you have to suffer until it comes out on its own, much like a metal sliver.

You can try using duct tape. The problem is that if even a little glass stays behibd it will hurt like the dickens for several weeks.

3. _cheryl_ profile image80
    _cheryl_posted 8 years ago

Thank you both for your ideas!

fhflorido- I actually gave my son a small ziplock bag wrapped in a paper towel to hold for a while, it helped take his mind off the pain I guess for a while. Helpful info you've shared, I'll keep it in mind.

Keith Tax- You, know I actually ended up using some packing tape and pulled off slowly. I had to do it two different times, guess it didn't get everything at first. But so far so good, he tells me excitedly "It's all gone now, doesn't hurt!", poor little guy, I can't imagine how it must've felt...

Thanks again to both of you for your helpful answers!!

4. profile image50
    weaver7100@att.neposted 8 years ago

your answer...duct tape    wrap  around  other  hand and roll

Closed to reply

working