What is the difference in gardening for visual pleasure and gardening to grow fo

1. Etherealenigma profile image79
    Etherealenigmaposted 7 years ago

What is the difference in gardening for visual pleasure and gardening to grow food?

Is there a difference in technic?

2. Allan Douglas profile image54
    Allan Douglasposted 7 years ago

Generally speaking, chrysanthimums and hostas make a lousy salad and vegetables - by and large - are not especially attractive.

In both cases you will want to study up on what the plants you want to use will need in terms of soil compostion, chemical additives, and sunlight.  But here the similarities end, in my opinion.

My wife is into flower gardening, I run our vegatble garden.  She lays out plants entirely for visual effect; what will bloom  when and what colors they will be,  I lay out  a garden for sun exposure and convenience of access.  Marie likes perennials and plans long term.  At the end of the year I run a rototiller though and turn everything under for a fresh start next year.

We both stick plants in the ground, and are concerned about their nutritional needs and pest control but otherwise, to me, they are diametrically opposed in terms of goals and technique.

I hope that helps.  If not, drop me a line and I'll take another shot at it!

Closed to reply

working