What is the best way to revitalize two Holly bushes that have seen no care for f

1. billd01603 profile image86
    billd01603posted 6 years ago

What is the best way to revitalize two Holly bushes that have seen no care for five years.

Both bushes have suffered significant winter damage
    From one source I have been told that the best thing to do, is to cut  them down to the stub in the spring and let the bushes regenerate themselve over the next few years, another told me to do the same thing, but to cut it down in the fall. Still a third told me just to trim it down. I;m confused as to what I should do

2. Civil War Bob profile image62
    Civil War Bobposted 6 years ago

If any of your three sources were your local arborist and/or garden shop, listen to that one.

3. NotTooTall profile image83
    NotTooTallposted 6 years ago

Spring time is great for giving your Holly bushes a prunning.  Use clean and sharp hand pruners to trim off any dead branches.
    A good rule-of-thumb when prunning is to only remove up to 20% of the overall growth so as not to harm the shrub.
    Examine the growth and form of the bush to decide which branches should be removed.  Thin out ~ by cutting branches near the base of the Holly.  Shape up ~ by snipping off branches that 'shoot out' a little too far and alter the appearance of the shape you are going for.
    Wait 3 weeks and go at it again until about the end of May.  Let it recover and you can begin this process again this Autumn.
    Boost their health by applying fertilizer specially formulated for Hollys, this Spring.

working