My neighbors are slobs!

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (63 posts)
  1. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

We live between two slobs they don't do anything until the POA threatens. I'm completely the other way, I'm totally anal about my yard. I'm not being unreasonable, they currently have weeds that are a foot tall! Help!

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Don't they have bylaws against that?

1. profile image0
        sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The POA does send warnings but it's a good while inbetween and things get ugly before they mow.

2. ediggity profile image59
      ediggityposted 14 years agoin reply to this

All I have to say is, Extra weed and feed!  It's worth the 30 bucks.  I had the same problem at one of my homes.  I just broke down and did the neighbors lawn at the same time as mine.  I hate weeds in the grass.

1. profile image0

That may be the solution.

2. flogreen profile image60
        flogreenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Here Here, weed and feed is the best ever, especially if people are negligent.

3. profile image51
      alice93065068posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

1. profile image0

Are you serious!

1. Beth100 profile image69
          Beth100posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Maybe this is your neighbor?  lol

1. profile image0
      2. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
        mistyhorizon2003posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Whhhhaaaatttttt, SPAMMING I suspect, unless you are the dodgy neighbour trying to now sell us sports equipment!!

4. Francine49 profile image58
      Francine49posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I got the same problem.  We are sandwiched with two neighbors who never rake their leaves during fall season. We fence in our backyard so as not to see their old diapers and christmas trees with ornaments trown in including their pots and pans. Don't get me wrong.  We live in a nice neighborhood, it's just the bad luck of being sandwitch with a slobs.

2. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

You've got the slobs and I've got the rude neighbors. the nighbors live downstairs in our apartment have a problem with slamming their damn doors, especially their front door when they are coming and going. WTF? I have complained many times as well I am sure as others since when they slam their door the WHOLE aparment SHAKES. UGH! Even my husband went down stairs to complain. next it'll be me going downstairs and banging on their door. Especially if they keep it up at night! I finally get ready to slip into sleep and WHAM! they slam one of their damn doors waking me up again. GRRRR

1. profile image0

One of the same neighbors has their kids picked up on Saturdays at six in  the morning. The driver honks until they make it to the car. We don't like that. Door slaming is ridiculus, in condos and apartments you have to be extra considerate.

1. Jeffrey Neal profile image68
        Jeffrey Nealposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's why as long as I can afford to, I don't plan on living in either anymore.  Of course today, the neighbor's barking dog was driving me crazy, but what can I do?  I just turn some music up to drown it out.

1. profile image0
          Crazdwriterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You could throw a bone over the fence to shut up the dog? lol and 6 in the morning with the horn blasting? I would be halling arse out of my house and going WTF is wrong with you? UGH some ppl are so damn inconsiderate it's sickening

1. profile image0

The honking on Saturdays is just rude.

1. profile image0

Yea totally rude. have you talked to the ppl about it?

1. profile image0

Yes, I caught them in the act only one problem, I was in my boxers. They still honk and my wife and son are not happy with me.

1. profile image0

I'm surprised yuo running out in your boxers didn't make them stop lol just kidding. and they still honk? Isn't there a law against honking that early in the morning? I would call the cops.

2. Jeffrey Neal profile image68

Was raining all day here, so didn't want to go outside. That's the other thing that bugs me about my neighbors, though.  They throw ridiculous numbers of dog bone treats over the fence to mine, and I already have two overweight dogs without their help.lol

1. profile image0

LMAO oh your poor puppies!

1. Jeffrey Neal profile image68

Yeah, right?  So what do I say?  Stop being so darn nice to my dogs.

1. profile image0

HAHA no...too bad you don't catch the dogs before they eat the treats then you could just grab 'em and throw them back over after the neighbors go back inside

2. laughing loon profile image61
                  laughing loonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Remind people who give your dogs treats that you are thankul they are so kind but the vet said the dogs need to cut back on treats.

3. zadrobi profile image59
    zadrobiposted 14 years ago

Just do a little controlled burn on their yard hehehe

1. profile image0

I like the way you think!

4. Beth100 profile image69
    Beth100posted 14 years ago

Nothing a little Round Up can't handle.... just make sure you're upwind from the blowing chemicals....or you can call "weed" control...that'll teach 'em  tongue

5. Pearldiver profile image66
    Pearldiverposted 14 years ago

Hey.......... Easy on the pubic announcement Huh?
    We aren't Slobs.... If you returned the kid's football, frizbee and our dog... We might just cut our lawns! smile

Can we borrow your mower? hmm

6. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Isn't it THEIR yard?

1. profile image0

Yes, I know what you're thinking. I live in Sugarland, Tx. it's an area covered in expensive beautiful homes my wife and I have worked and saved for an oppertunity to live in a really nice neighborhood. My yard is manicured,I rotate my annuals approx. 14 flats per season. My shrubs don't have a twig out of place.  I don't mind that people don't care to garden like me but, mow your Damn yard!

1. Misha profile image63
        Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LOL That's why I never live in HOA/POA areas. I don't, and I won't, I like it natural lol

Well, to be exactly frank - I do. But much less frequent than average american. smile

1. Colebabie profile image59
          Colebabieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I live in an apartment right now, and for my current lifestyle it is perfect. But when I buy a house, I'll never buy one with an HOA. The house I grew up in didn't have one. I couldn't deal with it. Luckily my apartment complex is awesome and I have amazing neighbors.

1. profile image0

LCUKY! I don't like you anymore lol just kidding

2. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88

LOL, God Misha, you just so love to stir the pot don't you wink

1. Misha profile image63

Nah, I just love it when everybody including me mind their own business, and communicate to others only to say how beautiful others are smile

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88

Ohh Misha, what are we going to do with you?? You love to be contraversial, (and you know it), there is much more to you than simply "I just love it when everybody including me mind their own business, and communicate to others only to say how beautiful others are"

wink wink big_smile

3. starme77 profile image77
      starme77posted 14 years agoin reply to this

yep you said it right smile The way I see it - it depends What  you consider to be weeds anyway- I like country living where there are dandilions and daisies and pretty little pink flower things covering my lush green grass , but alot of people consider them weeds , they pull out or kill the nice yellow, white and pink flowers and then run down to the store and spen hours upon hours planting  yellow white and pink flowers all "around" the lush green grass. They think that it looks good. What the heck? See we're losing our bee population cause they eatoff of  the dandelions, daisies and pretty flowering things not the fake flowers.

1. profile image0

In the country thats fine! Where your property has a negative impact on the neighborhood thats different! We wanted ordered beauty not weedy mayhem.

1. starme77 profile image77

Ordered, landscaped flower picked over beauty?

1. profile image0

We are past our free as a bird stage. We are in a conservative Mom and Dad stage.

1. Colebabie profile image59

My parents have yet to reach that stage.

1. Misha profile image63

LOL Based on what Sneako is posting here, I bet he just pretends wink

1. profile image0

Nah! I suck! I really got sucked into suburbania and all it's trappings. I always wanted to move back home to Colorado but, we couldn't make near the money.

1. Misha profile image63

It's not the end of the world. You never know when opportunity looms. wink

2. Colebabie profile image59

My parents live in the suburbs. But they haven't changed who they are. My dad still goes to rock concerts every weekend and my mom still works outside in her bikini and feeds the whole neighborhood.

2. starme77 profile image77

I'm in a mom stage right now but that dosn't mean I don't think birds should be free

7. Pearldiver profile image66

We Don't have many neighbours in NZ. (Other than in the cities)
    The sheep never Honk or Play loud music. Most of the other people are: at the beach, hunting, fishing, bush walking, skiing, boating, enjoying the rivers, lakes or the sea. sad

I wanna live where you live, sounds perfect sad

1. Pearldiver profile image66
        Pearldiverposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Generally where ever you live in NZ; you are never more than 100 miles away from the water.

But to be fair on the OP, there are slobby neighbours everywhere in the world.

Still love the idea of NZ to live, privacy, scenery, and miles between you and your neighbours sounds perfect for me smile

2. profile image0

My wife grew up in Chicago. She was a good sport and we had a place in the country and she gave it a go. She hated it! Now we live a suburban lifestyle, "When Moma's happy, everybodies happy!"

1. Pearldiver profile image66
        Pearldiverposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well... there's part of the answer smile

Seriously though, a friend whose neighbour hated mowing his lawn, waited until the neighbour was away for a few days and then mowed the guy's lawns for him.
        When the guy came back, he asked my mate who cut his lawns as he didn't have a mower and was pretty impressed with the cut. My friend's son ended up with a lawn mowing job for $20 every fortnight. In that way he solved 3 problems at once and ended up getting on with his neighbour eventually.

Fabulous result, I love it smile

1. profile image0

Hear!Hear!

8. Jewels profile image83
    Jewelsposted 14 years ago

Maybe offer to help them do it.  If your garden is meticulous then maybe you want to get creative and spread it beyond your boundaries.  Just a thought, it gives you a challenge and you may get them interested in the art of gardening.  Start a vegie garden in their yards and all reap the benefits.

1. profile image0

I have offered and do say my yards amazing but I just want them to mow their yards on a regular basis.

9. Pearldiver profile image66

Best you go fishing more often mate smile

1. profile image0

I'm prepared! I could break-out on a fishing trip on a moments notice!

10. Place Kick profile image59
    Place Kickposted 14 years ago

Makes a person wonder where the good old days went where neighbors got along and would come together to help each other in a time of need. This day and time people don't respect their neighbors or anyone else except themselves. Well that the way most act anyways!

11. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

Where there are neighbors there's always likely to be something that irks you - daily, earnly morning, non-stop, .leaf-blowing,Christmas lights you think are tacky and don't feel like looking at, weekend get-togethers that take up all the parking spaces,the stinko smoke from wood-burning stoves, barking dogs, etc. etc.  It goes on and on.  The way I see it, people can be as "anal" as they like about their ownyard, but life is short; and there are people starving to death in the world and people with sick children.  I really can't see spinning my wheels over something like my neighbor's obnoxious Christmas lights or lawn. My mother used to say things like, "If that's your biggest problem, just be happy and grateful you're able to deal with your own lawn, because some people either can't do the work themthelves or don't have the money to hire someone to do it.  Having that kind of thinking drummed into my head has made me a happier person.   smile

12. Gerber Ink profile image90
    Gerber Inkposted 13 years ago

I grew up in suburbia, and everyone around us had beautiful lawns.  We were the family on the corner that had every kid in town playing in our yard.  We couldn't have had a nice yard if our lives depended upon it.  In addition, grubs just loved our yard, so it was full of holes.  Honestly, my dad tried, but he just didn't have the time to manicure the yard.  So he didn't.

Fast forward to now- as an adult I live in the country, and it has its pluses and minuses.  My lawn is about 3 acres and when my lawnmower died this spring, all heck broke loose.  My grass was about a foot high, and the Schwan man said he was going to bring a machete to get to my porch on his next visit.  Luckily, it didn't come to that because the lawnmower got repaired. 

However, the local Amish horses leave piles of road apples along the road where I live.  I'm guessing that would be a worse case scenario for some people who live in these high-end neighborhoods! wink

13. camlo profile image84
    camloposted 13 years ago

Good thing I live in a flat and don't have a garden - I hate gardening and it would be a complete mess.
    Still, the neighbours complain about me. Apparently I'm too noisy. Well, we live on a federal road, and outside our building are traffic lights where buses, cars, lorries, motorbikes etc. are starting and stopping all day and night long. There are 4 well frequented pubs right on our doorstep, so it gets very loud well into the early hours.
    And I'm too loud?
    Anyone who wants a quiet life shouldn't be living here.
    I get on well with my neighbours otherwise.

14. Barbara Kay profile image73
    Barbara Kayposted 13 years ago

We've had neighbors like that before and have a new one that just moved in. Their weeds were a couple of feet tall. It can drive you crazy because it spreads weeds in your yard and makes yours look bad living between them.

Maybe they'll move. Just hope.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)