I have no green thumb, How long should I wait to plant a flower in a pot bought

1. songbirdmom profile image60
    songbirdmomposted 5 years ago

I have no green thumb, How long should I wait to plant a flower in a pot bought from the store.

2. TheNerdyGardener profile image87
    TheNerdyGardenerposted 5 years ago

It's probably ready to plant right away as long as the weather outside is nice. If grown from a seed It should have at least a couple of nice, strong leaves before planting out.

3. Pavlo Badovskyy profile image79
    Pavlo Badovskyyposted 5 years ago

I guess i do not have it either.. Poor we.. Well, as to your question if it is a plant in blossom wait till the end of blossoming and only then plant it in a pot. If it doesnt blossom- then it makes no difference. Wet thoughly the soil of bought plant before removing it from a container. Just a little bit knead the bottom of lump to make roots visible and to remove some peat. You can also  make 3-4 short vertical cuts in a lump by clean knife on a half inch depth. That will give the roots some breath. A very good idea is  to put a drainage in a pot before putting some soil. I usually use broken clay pots or rubble, or ask you local store what can they offer as a drainage. It is done to avoid extra wet soil which can cause rotting of roots. And finally choose the soil properly. Just remember that different plants love different level of accidity of soil. To find out  what your plant likes just browse the net.  Good luck and may the plant be with you! :-)

working