jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)

Which weed do you think is hardest to eradicate?

1. Farmer Rachel profile image98
    Farmer Rachelposted 5 years ago

Which weed do you think is hardest to eradicate?

What'll it be! Thistle? Grape vine? Violet? Or something else? smile

2. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

Thistles get my vote. We foolishly planted a garden on an old thistle patch and those darn things are unrelenting!

Farmer Rachelposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Yup! They're awful. Only thing I know to do with them is dig them out. You have to get every. single. piece. of root, though, or they just keep coming.

3. The Dirt Farmer profile image96
    The Dirt Farmerposted 5 years ago

Where to begin! There's a wild violet that's horrid to eradicate--if it CAN be eradicated. Not only does it have little bulbs that replicate and dig down deep, but sometimes, if I dig the violets up without paying attention to the time of year, they explode with seeds as they're lifted out of the ground. They're ... (sigh) invincible. And, thank heavens, they're not bad looking in the spring.

That's the violet I have, I think - dark green, broad leafed, "viney" and grows low? They're almost pretty in the spring, but we had a heck of a time getting them out of the market garden for the past couple years.

4. ChristinS profile image95
    ChristinSposted 5 years ago

I like violets so I don't consider it a weed.  I have grape vines I cannot get rid of we've tried everything to get rid of it so we can plant different things there and ugh... Dandelions around here are pretty relentless also.

Dandelions... how could I forget them! Ugh.

5. Patsybell profile image88
    Patsybellposted 5 years ago

deep rooted poison ivy. Just keeps coming back.

Yup! Not much to do but keep "discouraging" it, I guess.

working