jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (8 posts)

Is it possible to refinish a laminate wood floor?

1. denise.w.anderson profile image93
    denise.w.andersonposted 5 years ago

Is it possible to refinish a laminate wood floor?

I have a laminate floor in my kitchen where the finish is coming off. What can I do? Is it possible to refinish it?

2. Shelly McRae profile image82
    Shelly McRaeposted 5 years ago

No, you can't re-finish a laminate floor. This type of flooring has a thin veneer as the finish and that veneer is coated with a resin. Beneath that finish is, basically, compressed wood chip. What did you use to clean your floors? If the product was an abrasive or if you used water, the resin may have broken down, exposing the veneer. You can try using a hardwood flooring stain, but I doubt it would work. You'll likely have to replace the flooring.

1. denise.w.anderson profile image93
      denise.w.andersonposted 5 years agoin reply to this

We moved into the home three years ago, and the floor was peeling then. Since, I have just noticed that I cannot get it clean, and the shine is pretty much non-existent.

2. Shelly McRae profile image82
      Shelly McRaeposted 5 years agoin reply to this

It sounds like the previous owners used the wrong type of cleaner. Sorry you're having this trouble, but I would look into new flooring options in this case.

3. alvairs profile image61
    alvairsposted 5 years ago

Laminate flooring simulates wood (or sometimes stone) with a photographic applique layer under a clear protective layer. The inner core layer is usually composed of melamine resin and fiber board materials. Which cannot be refinished, i suggest putting in a new floor that is more durable, also the life expectancy of a laminated floor in high traffic areas are up to 5 years.
    Or you can simply replace with new laminate, it is way cheaper than installing ceramic tile, which i strongly recommend ceramic flooring for your kitchen.
    Here is an idea find out the square footage which of the kitchen area which is  length X width for the resulting square footage, shop around for discontinued tiles, you may be lucky to find what you need at Habitat for Humanity surplus stores in your are. You will be amazed at what you will find there for a few bucks. I got a lot of stuff there which were left overs that was donated from contractor jobs.
    Good luck

4. Manna in the wild profile image70
    Manna in the wildposted 5 years ago

Consider installing a click-system floating wood floor. These are fast to install and would go right over the top of your existing peeling floor. The boards come ready-finished, shiny, flat and look great.

5. pocono foothills profile image81
    pocono foothillsposted 5 years ago

Replace it.  If you try to sand a laminated floor to refinish it, you'll probably sand all the way through the laminate.  A laminate is a very think layer of wood that is adhered to some substrate with an adhesive, and it isn't made to be refinished.

6. Viqe Newman profile image62
    Viqe Newmanposted 5 years ago

I don't know about that, but it IS possible to sand them and paint them. You can paint any color you choose and then cover them with a clear coat.

Closed to reply

working