jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (9 posts)

How do you motivate yourself to do household chores that you absolutely loathe?

1. CWanamaker profile image99
    CWanamakerposted 5 years ago

How do you motivate yourself to do household chores that you absolutely loathe?

2. Sherry Hewins profile image96
    Sherry Hewinsposted 5 years ago

The only way I get motivated to do unpleasant chores is when not having it done becomes more unpleasant than doing it. Taking out the garbage isn't fun, but piling it up in the corner is not an option. Also if company is coming that will motivate me to get everything done.

3. Jools99 profile image91
    Jools99posted 5 years ago

I do it by thinking of it as 'delayed gratification' - I hate ironing clothes so i tell myself that if I do the ironing, I will then have a nice sit down with a lovely cup of coffee and maybe a cookie or two. 

When I have something to look forward to (coffee, sweets etc), it makes doing the ironing more bearable yikes)

4. RTalloni profile image88
    RTalloniposted 5 years ago

Inviting company in for dinner always works. smile

5. Kimberly Vaughn profile image85
    Kimberly Vaughnposted 5 years ago

I hate cleaning so I rotate through three different strategies to motivate myself. First, I count 100 things. I put away 1OO things or clean 100 things. When I'm putting away dishes or clothes this goes really quick. When I get to 1OO I stop for a while and do something fun. Second, I tell myself if I clean for 30 minutes then I can do something fun like work on hubs for 30 minutes. And third, I crank up the music and dance while I am cleaning. This is the most fun strategy.

1. CWanamaker profile image99
      CWanamakerposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Very interesting. I like your strategies!

2. Kimberly Vaughn profile image85
      Kimberly Vaughnposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks CWanamaker!

6. watergeek profile image98
    watergeekposted 5 years ago

You focus on how great it will feel to have it done!

7. Om Paramapoonya profile image96
    Om Paramapoonyaposted 5 years ago

I consider them to be easy ways to burn calories!

working