jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (7 posts)

Can I plant my seeds anytime of year in a pot?

1. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 4 years ago

Can I plant my seeds anytime of year in a pot?

I'd like to plant some seeds I didn't get planted in the spring. Can I plant them in a pot that I keep in inside later in the fall and outside now? I'm hoping I can prolong the amount of time I have fresh veggies. This should work right?

2. Bob Ewing profile image42
    Bob Ewingposted 4 years ago

If you have enough sunlight or other light  at least six hours per day and provide the water they need, then it is possible to do this.

3. lburmaster profile image83
    lburmasterposted 4 years ago

Understand what your plant needs to grow to it's best quality. You might consider having a small greenhouse, even making one out of PVC pipes and trash bags will do the job. Sometimes the temperature in your house cannot match the summer intensity that helps your plants grow their best. Also if you have pets, inside plants can get messy.... Eating leaves, pulling out the entire plant, dirt everywhere, UGH! Just the thought makes me tired and disappointed...

1. MizBejabbers profile image90
      MizBejabbersposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Using them for a litterbox -- ugh!

4. Peggasuse profile image84
    Peggasuseposted 4 years ago

Yes, you would need to provide sunlight, water and plants food to the seedlings.  However, indoor planting usually requires grow light to grow properly.  You might consider doing a search at some of the gardening centers in your town or at mail order companies (such as Burpee or Parks seed company) to see what they have, and compare prices.  The grow lights help the seedlings grow better and faster.

5. ChristinS profile image95
    ChristinSposted 4 years ago

If you live in an area that doesn't have high winds, I would recommend a small, portable greenhouse. You can buy them for under a 100 bucks. They allow you to keep plants pretty much year round in many areas.  Unfortunately, mine did not work out because we are prone to high winds here and even with additional tethers and weights it still kept blowing apart.  I have to invest in an actual greenhouse and that will take time and money I don't have unfortunately.  I loved my portable for the couple of months it lasted though!

6. MizBejabbers profile image90
    MizBejabbersposted 4 years ago

We do. We sometimes start heirloom tomato seeds around Christmas. Mr. B is always starting something at all times of the year. Sometimes they germinate, and sometimes they don't. Also, we have been known to start difficult to grow seeds in a sprouter and then carefully move them to a pot with soil. I won't elaborate further except to say that there are some mighty good directions given by other people here, and if you follow them, you may be successful.

working