jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (10 posts)

Can someone write a hub about wrapping pipes for winter?

1. lambservant profile image93
    lambservantposted 4 years ago

Can someone write a hub about wrapping pipes for winter?

I would love to see a "how to" hub on how to properly wrap pipes for the winter and other winterization tasks. In particular an enclosed shed with washer dryer hook ups.

2. Faith Reaper profile image88
    Faith Reaperposted 4 years ago

Interesting question.  I am sure one can, but it would have to include other information as you indicate to get up to at least 700 words.  It certainly would be a useful hub.  Blessings and love, Faith Reaper

3. Ericdierker profile image53
    Ericdierkerposted 4 years ago

Honey baby wonderful person and life giver.

The folks that write like that have left us. Maybe they still lurk.

Let me just give this for free. Pipes are really cool. They take water from one place to where we want it. It is a flow system and really simple.

What we want to do is wrap the pipes with insulation. All that means is a jacket to keep pipes warm in the winter and cooler in the winter.
    In New England I wrapped pipe with about an 8 inch layer of that pink looking cotton candy stuff with a reflective outer. And I went 24 inches into the earth. That is hard core.

I like that but usually we can just insulate with that stuff that looks like Styrofoam pipe with a slit up one end. Do this no matter what. It is good for pipes in many ways. When you are buying it get the biggest with the most insulation. It really is fun to install. Kind of like cut and past and follow the dotted lines. Believe me perfection is not needed. But it is fun to strive for. An "elbow" is a change of direction joint in the pipe --- have fun and cover it your best.
    I have one outside pipe that carries cold water. I like it. It is in the shade and I do not insulate it except in winter, when I put a sleeve over it. We really do not freeze here.

I ask that you do not look at this as a problem. I ask that you look at it as a fun project. Once we had so much fun with those sleeves my children's mom bought a bunch extra and we had a blast at high school events. colored them and painted them.  My son loved his school project where we mapped and covered all pipes.

lambservantposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Eric, you must be pretty special to make wrapping pipes look fun. Thanks for the  info. I wrapped the pipes under my trailer and run the water. The outside spigot is wrapped. It's getting the pipes and hoses and stuff for the shed that is challenging

4. Cre8tor profile image97
    Cre8torposted 4 years ago

I would be happy to but Eric really has about summed it up. There are lots of insulation choices but I think Eric has mentioned the easiest to use. Other options might be "heat tape" assuming u have electric in the shed. Stick it to the pipe and plug it in. Ta daaaa. Another option, not the best option but will do in a pinch, let the faucet drip. Running wAter isn't "green" but it will keep pipes from freezing to a burst. I thank you for the hub idea. I will get to work on it but fear it may be a bit late for your needs. I like to do my own photos with my materials and such so cost and time slow me down on these. Hope we helped a bit for now.

1. Ericdierker profile image53
      Ericdierkerposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Cre*tor those are really cool things. No matter, in my house of raising my dad would pay attention and let those faucets drip. When it goes sub zero all bets are off. 
      We used to just run a simple light bulb to keep my chickens warm enough.

2. lambservant profile image93

I've never heard of heat tape. I do have electric in my shed. But there is no way to run water in their with only a washing machine. I do run water in the house. I am using a light bulb in the shed near the pipes behind the washer.

3. Cre8tor profile image97
      Cre8torposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I see and Eric you're right. Subzero all bets are off. Nearing that here today and about to go work in it. I'm sooo excited. Haha.

5. Jackie Lynnley profile image89
    Jackie Lynnleyposted 4 years ago

Believe it or not I have done this but it has been so long ago. There would be different ways and of course the very best in my opinion would be using heated tape but things have prob come a long way since I did this. Hope someone will, would be interesting but if they don't you can find these instructions online.

Thanks Jackie. I will look into heated tape. God bless you sister.

working