jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (13 posts)

What do you do to reduce water when your house is already water efficient?

1. tirelesstraveler profile image82
    tirelesstravelerposted 4 years ago

What do you do to reduce water when your house is already water efficient?

California is just beginning to admit we are having a drought.  There are towns in Northern California where the residents have been told they must reduce 20% of their water consumption. I don't think I have that much that can be cut.

2. The Examiner-1 profile image74
    The Examiner-1posted 4 years ago

I believe that you can turn it down at the water tank. Perhaps by yourself, but probably by a professional.

tirelesstravelerposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I am pretty sure our water pressure has dropped significantly already.  We have copper pipes about 5 years old.The person in the shower gets a burst of hot H2O when the sink is running. I will look into the Water heater idea. It was new in July.

3. justmesuzanne profile image90
    justmesuzanneposted 4 years ago

You are already doing it. I doubt they will force you to do more. You might try setting up rain barrels if it's allowed so that you can use collected water for some of your outdoor watering needs.

tirelesstravelerposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thought about the rain barrels, but they would require rain.  We haven't really had any in two years.  I will start collecting the water from the shower warm up if things don't get better.

2. justmesuzanne profile image90
      justmesuzanneposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Will your community let you run your grey water (bath & laundry water) directly onto the lawn?

4. LWhip profile image76
    LWhipposted 4 years ago

Saving water does not have to be difficult or expensive.  There are plenty of easy ways you can conserve water at home.  This article shares a few tips on how your home can be more water efficient. read more

5. Imogen French profile image85
    Imogen Frenchposted 4 years ago

It sounds like you are doing your best. We don't have such problems usually in England (it rains too much!), but I remember a drought in the '70s when I was a child. We had to share our bathwater - we were only allowed 4 inches of water in the bath - and then had to water the garden with the dirty bathwater and washing up water. Luckily it only lasted a few weeks.

6. tsadjatko profile image58
    tsadjatkoposted 4 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8631011_f260.jpg

Buy bottled water,
    shower at the YMCA,
    use public rest rooms daily so you don't have to flush toilets at home,
    use paper plates and plastic utensils,
    pray for rain,

pretty much just some of the things you will have to do after another 3 years of the Obama administration so get used to them.  Hey TT! :-)

1. justmesuzanne profile image90

DON'T buy bottled water! It is the biggest scam to ever be perpetrated on the public. Who caused our water problems? The petroleum industry is setting us up for water privatization & the Bush family owns the world's biggest aquifer. Connect the d

2. tirelesstraveler profile image82
      tirelesstravelerposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Justmesuzanne, A good bit of California gets its water from aquifers.  Jerry Brown wouldn't share w/ Bush. Some of the aquifers are caving in.

7. tirelesstraveler profile image82
    tirelesstravelerposted 4 years ago

What great ideas. Learned to wipe food off plate s instead of rinsing from Japanese exchange students.
    Paper plates will compost too.

1. justmesuzanne profile image90

Good solution! Surely switching to disposable plastic utensils and disposable plastic bottles would NOT be a good solution!
      In conservation, less is more!
      http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic … -fantastic

working