Does anyone have tips about how to get spinach seeds to germinate?

1. chefsref profile image82
    chefsrefposted 3 years ago

Does anyone have tips about how to get spinach seeds to germinate?

Winter days can get into the 80s but even indoors under grow lights I have poor results. Currently I am chilling seeds on wet paper to plant when the weather cools

2. lisavollrath profile image96
    lisavollrathposted 3 years ago

Spinach likes to grow when it's cool. You would usually plant it about 6 weeks before the last frost of the season. It also likes nitrogen-rich soil, and needs room for a very long taproot. The seeds don't store well, so always start with seeds that are packaged for this growing season. Also, remember the size of the seed dictates how deep you should plant them, so spinach seeds should be planted no deeper than 1/2 inch into the soil.

3. The Dirt Farmer profile image99
    The Dirt Farmerposted 3 years ago

Hi Lee! I actually wrote a hub about this not long ago based in part on a lecture I attended at Monticello during the Fall Harvest Heritage Festival there last year. It's almost that hot here, at least during the day. I put wet burlap over mine and spray the burlap and under it with water every morning . If I were you I'd also plant the seeds at night if it's cooler then, making sure the ground is nice and moist. Good luck to you! --Jill

working