jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)

If you live with other people, how do you divide up the housework?

1. AliciaC profile image100
    AliciaCposted 3 years ago

If you live with other people, how do you divide up the housework?

Does one person do all the work or does each person in the family or group have their own jobs?

2. billybuc profile image89
    billybucposted 3 years ago

The housework is mine since Bev works 40 hours per week and I'm home writing.  On weekends we split the yard and garden work between us.

AliciaCposted 3 years agoin reply to this

This sounds like a good arrangement.

3. Melinda Longoria profile image80
    Melinda Longoriaposted 3 years ago

In my house, I do everything. My husband takes out the trash. I am a stay at home mom. He works hard and is tired when he gets home. He thinks housework is my job. When I worked full time, he helped more.

It's good to hear that your husband helped when you worked outside the home.

4. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 3 years ago

The few times I lived in apartments with a co-worker or classmate, we each picked up after ourselves in the living room. I got lucky in that I hate cleaning a bathroom and my roommates always hated cleaning the kitchen so I cleaned the kitchen and they did the bathroom.

It's always good when our cleaning job is the one that we hate the least!

5. danicole profile image80
    danicoleposted 3 years ago

Everyone would be assign a specific task:
    Men/boys will take out the trash (if its heavy). Perhaps do the repairs, heavy lifting, raking, shoveling, etc.
    Women/girls will wash pots and pans after cooking, also maintaining the refrigerator and keeping kitchen clean.
    Kids: in charge of picking up and putting toys away
    ps. this isn't meant to be sexist...... the roles can and will be swapped (even so, I know alot of males in my life, that barely cook.... sooo)

The living room and bathroom is a shared space, so everyone has a hand in that.
    Everyone will make their own beds, wash their own dishes (especially if the pots/pans are washed already), perhaps everyone will do their own laundry (or at least help with it like folding) and basically clean up after themselves. They are also responsible for organizing and folding their own clothes.

This sounds very organized!

working