jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

Is a home a memory box?

1. tsmog profile image83
    tsmogposted 3 months ago

Is a home a memory box?

2. Ericdierker profile image56
    Ericdierkerposted 3 months ago

I cannot imagine a situation for me that my home would not be a memory box. My office does not have more than 2 square feet of wall that does not carry a "memento" of special moments of my life. I think it even extends to around my home outside. And it also goes more personal like my scars and defects on me.
    Yes my home is a memory box.

3. Terrielynn1 profile image93
    Terrielynn1posted 3 months ago

Yes, mine is too. But I do try and keep it to a limit. Most of my memories are in my heart and mind. I am working on a wall that has all certificates, awards and education on one wall. It will also have a hand painted family tree.

1. The0NatureBoy profile image52
      The0NatureBoyposted 3 months agoin reply to this

I've a school diploma, military Honorable discharge I had to locate to get housing to remain in DC indefinitely and one photo from 1974 before becoming the nomad, they serve no purpose to me for they are in my memory, I use them for other's inquiries

4. The0NatureBoy profile image52
    The0NatureBoyposted 3 months ago

Home is a "state of Conscious" and not a physical location. That makes it a "memory box" one must continue to ramble through, via meditation, to find out the purpose for all of the memories. Thereby one is propelled forward in their spiritual understanding of themselves and life.

5. shanmarie profile image78
    shanmarieposted 3 months ago

Yes and no.  There are places from my past that have sentimental value. Reminds me of when I  was younger and how my dad would drive us by the house he finished growing up in from time to time. It's an empty lot now because it was condemned when I was a young child,  which is why she moved.  My grandma didn't own the property and the people she rented from didn't want to fix it. Last time I  saw the property with the old home still standing was when I was a teen. My cousin went inside to check it out even though it had the keep out signs posted. I was afraid it was unsafe and stayed on the rotting porch instead. I imagine she found a lot of vandalism inside rather than just a memory box.

That's just one example. My sister still lives in the neighborhood we grew up in so I imagine she is reminded of some things just by driving by our old house.

But I haven't developed a strong attachment to any homes I have lived in since growing up. There's always an element of nostalgia when moving, but the real treasured memories are stored in my heart and in photographs. I especially  learned that after a house burned down and the tangible memories were gone.

working