I have no idea how to file Hubpages earnings...

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (11 posts)
  1. Shanna11 profile image88
    Shanna11posted 7 years ago

    It's my first year doing taxes on my own and I'm a bit (actually completely) baffled.

    Has hubpages sent out the electronic w-2's yet? Do I just count it as part of my total income on my 1040EZ form?

    Was federal income tax withheld from my hubpages earnings, or will I owe money?

    Someone please take pity on my stupidity. I told my parents I wanted to try to do this myself this year (last year was my first year and my dad did it) and they were like "okay, you're on your own." tongue

    All of this is completely foreign to me.

    1. Quilligrapher profile image84
      Quilligrapherposted 7 years agoin reply to this

      Hi there Shanna.

      HP must send you a 1099-Misc form but only if you earned more than $600 in 2012. They mail it unless you opted for electronic delivery. You can add the amount to your gross earnings on your 1040-EZ. If your payments go directly to your Paypal account then next year Paypal issues the 1099 due to an IRS rule change. In addition, IRS.gov has online instructions for downloading if your 1040-EZ does not come with a booklet. Any questions?

      1. Shanna11 profile image88
        Shanna11posted 7 years agoin reply to this

        I did earn more than that, and I opted for electronic delivery, but I was paid through Paypal. So Paypal will be the one sending me an 1099 soon? Or is that for what I earn this year?

        Thanks for your help!

        1. Quilligrapher profile image84
          Quilligrapherposted 7 years agoin reply to this

          HP does not make it clear if the change effects 2012 earnings. However, I believe HP is required to produce a 1099-Misc for 2012 earnings by 1/31/13. If you do not have your 1099, you should inquire.

          “Please note that due to a 2013 IRS policy change, HubPages is no longer required to send users Form 1099-MISC. From now on, payments made via third party network transactions (i.e., PayPal) must now be reported on Form 1099-K by the payment settlement entity and are not subject to reporting on Form 1099-MISC. Since all HubPages Earnings Program payments are through PayPal, no participants will receive 1099-MISC forms from HubPages.”

    2. profile image0
      Motown2Chitownposted 7 years agoin reply to this

      Take a look at the various free tax programs available online.  Most of them walk you through how to report each different kind of income.  Job income is reported on a W-2.  Other income (earned and unearned) is reported on one of a number of different 1099 forms.  Anything on a 1099 needs to be reported, but you will not always have a tax liability for it, depending on the amount.   Ultimately, report everything.  Take every legal deduction you can.  After that, let the computer do the work.

      I'm not one to pimp out a service but Turbo Tax will file your federal return for free (they will charge for your state return).  They guarantee 100% accuracy and also offer (for a fee) an audit protection program for down the road.  If you should be audited, they will help you ensure that you did everything right.

      Do NOT be afraid.  I've been filing taxes since I was 14 - by myself, and so far, I've encountered only one year where I've made an error.  It just meant that the following year, I didn't receive as much back as I might have due to having to pay for an error the previous year.

      AND - as awful as this sounds, if you have questions, call the IRS.  Since it's still very early in the tax year, they will be more than willing to help you.

      Good luck, and fear not!

  2. Gordon Hamilton profile image98
    Gordon Hamiltonposted 7 years ago

    Shanna, I wish I could help you and am sure someone will give you the specifics. Because I am British and not American, I simply add my HP income to the total of my return to Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs and it really is as simple as that. Job done. I hope you find the procedure to be so simple, or at least find the correct procedure! smile

  3. bankscottage profile image97
    bankscottageposted 7 years ago

    Hi Shanna.  When you write on HubPages you are basically and independent contractor in business for yourself.  You are paid through PayPal and no taxes, social security, medicare, etc. are taken our of your money.  You will receive a 1099-K from Paypal and it will summarize the amount of money you were paid from HubPages.  You will have to complete a Schedule C (or most likely a Sch. C-EZ).  Unless you have expenses the money you received from HubPages will be taxable as income and added to any other income you may have earned.
    This may be a good time to take some cookies to your Dad and ask him to at least review your return if he doesn't help you with it.

    1. Shanna11 profile image88
      Shanna11posted 7 years agoin reply to this

      SO I'll need to submit two tax forms (The 1099-K for writing and the other for my other job)?

      1. paradigmsearch profile image60
        paradigmsearchposted 7 years agoin reply to this


        I am 99% certain that...

        A. You will need to file a 1040, and a sched C, and a sched SE.
        B. You are not going to hear from HP or PayPal.
        C. You just need to add up everything you were actually paid in 2012 for your writing.
        D. There is a pile of mis-information being passed around in the forums. Possibly even including mine.
        E. It would be wise to let your parents be your resource for another year. Show them this thread. They'll understand.

        Very sincerely,


        1. Shanna11 profile image88
          Shanna11posted 7 years agoin reply to this

          hahaha thanks. I'll definitely get my dad to help. tongue

          Why are taxes so confusing? Now I understand why so many people have outside companies do their taxes for them...

  4. Kangaroo_Jase profile image82
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 7 years ago


    Get a qualified tax accountant to do your tax. If you have them in the States a slightly cheaper option would be to use a reputable tax agent.

    Hope this helps you!


This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://maven.io/company/pages/privacy

Show Details
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)