In 2010 I pay my child support came out of my working check, Now the child suppo

  1. profile image44
    cape46posted 7 years ago

    In 2010 I pay my child support came out of my working check, Now the child support office is saiding

    that i own back money what can I do.

  2. wychic profile image85
    wychicposted 7 years ago

    Was there a period for which you were unemployed or earned substantially less than normal? That would explain getting behind. As for what to do about it, check the laws in your state. Where I live, if someone gets behind and is a W-2 employee, they simply start taking more money out until the back support is paid up. Each state has a different maximum percentage they can take. If you're earning a lot less than when the child support was set, then you may be able to get it adjusted. Take it from me, the amendment process through the courts is horribly tedious, but if it's been more than three years and any changes will constitute more than a 20% change in your support obligation (actual percentages may differ in other places) then if the laws are the same there as they are here you should be able to request a review through the child support office to determine whether or not you're still being expected to pay a fair amount for your circumstances.

    Luckily, while they do send letters threatening contempt of court and all that, if you demonstrate that you're trying to get caught up then they are often willing to work with you. I don't know how far behind one has to get before being in danger of losing driver's license and passport, but it seems to be pretty far into the game. I'm currently very behind on my own support obligations because of severely limited work throughout a pregnancy, then my husband became unemployed several months ago and I barely make enough to cover essential bills, much less be able to send child support. So far no additional action has been taken other than informing me I'm behind, but I've also contacted the caseworker to let her know the situation and she gave me some great advice on how to get it straightened out, and has been patient so far while I try to act on her advice. My situation is slightly different than most because I'm self-employed, they can't do a wage deduction, but everything else is pretty much the same other than location.

  3. drdspervez profile image67
    drdspervezposted 7 years ago

    I am not aware of this system but I believe wychic gave  very accurate answer and I voted her up.



This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at:

Show Details
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the or domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)