jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

If you found a large sum of money, would you return it to the owner, or keep it

1. ElyseM profile image57
    ElyseMposted 6 years ago

If you found a large sum of money, would you return it to the owner, or keep it for yourself?

Recently in the news, a Utah family found approx. $45,000 in the attic of their newly-purchased home. If you found that kind of money, would you return it, or keep it for yourself?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/5071477_f260.jpg

2. Anne Pettit profile image72
    Anne Pettitposted 6 years ago

The money must be returned.  This internal sense of right and wrong is one of the things that defines who a person is.

3. mcrawford76 profile image82
    mcrawford76posted 6 years ago

By law if you purchase a home, everything in it, good or bad, belongs to you. So in that case I would not return the money.

But I would say that in almost every other case I would return it if possible.

4. Daffy Duck profile image60
    Daffy Duckposted 6 years ago

This is a great question in these days.  I would like to think I would notify someone, but I just can't say until I find myself in that position.  I've been having it rough the last few months.

5. Guanta profile image73
    Guantaposted 6 years ago

I think it's always right to return things that don't belong to you.  But I think in this case its kind of tricky, everyone would have to be absolutely honest.  Did the money belong to the previous owner, or the owner before that, and so on.

6. scauthor1969 profile image65
    scauthor1969posted 6 years ago

I would try to return the money to its rightful owner and hope for a reward.

7. Savvycruzr profile image60
    Savvycruzrposted 6 years ago

It could be very tempting to want to keep that kind of money found in the attic of a newly purchased home - but then what if the original owner of the house comes looking for it? With the power of advanced forensic detection, new finger-print technologies and lie-detection devices today, I wouldn't try keeping the money!

You also have peace of mind, and from similar stories I've read about people in different parts of the world who returned lost-but-found money, the national recognitions they got have had long-term benefits for them in terms of new business opportunities and people trusting them more! :-) 

- Savvycruzr

working