jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Is it better to try to sell items on Ebay or locally at a yardsale?

1. LearnFromMe profile image92
    LearnFromMeposted 6 years ago

Is it better to try to sell items on Ebay or locally at a yardsale?

2. K9keystrokes profile image92
    K9keystrokesposted 6 years ago

I think it depends on the neighborhood and the item. Sometimes people have a compulsion to buy what they see right on the spot. If you can keep your yard sale items clean and in good order, they will sell better. At a yard sale you get your money right then and there on the day of the sale, whereas with eBay you wait a bit to get paid. If you can wait out the competition and have time for the items to sell on eBay, you will probably make a few more bucks in the long run.
    Cheers~
    K9

3. IntuitiveMind profile image60
    IntuitiveMindposted 6 years ago

I do a lot of selling both ways. It just depends on the item. Big items such as furniture are probably sold best locally on, say Craigslist or by advertising in a local paper or website.  Items tend to net you less money if sold at yard sales or garage sales.  People expect items to be almost free. I have been selling on eBay since 2006 and I find that it's a great way to sell most of my unwanted items. You can even sell large items and list it for local pick up.
    I have experimented with this. I had a pair of men's jeans to sell.  At my garage sale, people wanted to pay $2-$5 a pair. For the same jeans, sold on eBay, I got $15.
    I think garage sales are great for the buyer, not the seller. eBay is great for both.

4. LindaSmith1 profile image62
    LindaSmith1posted 6 years ago

It would depend on what you are selling. First of all consider this when selling on Ebay:

What is your profit after:

Paying Ebay fees
    Paying for postage and shipping
    Paying for gas to go to post office

5. Laura in Denver profile image81
    Laura in Denverposted 6 years ago

Depends on the article. Cheap articles are not worth phographing, paying eBay a listing fee, possibly not selling it and then paying the closing percentage. I have found eBay's prices to get jacked up beyond what they are worth unless you have a very special collectable or desirable item.

Yardsales are a pain and run the risk of getting rained out. I would never do one without help because you'll need the bathroom and thieves aplenty frequent these.

One other venue to check out is local stores that outright buy stuff or consign it. There are many such bookstores, baby item stores, clothing stores, etc.

working