jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (10 posts)

You find $100 bill on the floor, what do you do?

1. roxanne459 profile image90
    roxanne459posted 6 years ago

You find $100 bill on the floor, what do you do?

A few days ago we were at a local restaurant and a man found a $100 bill on the floor in the restroom. The reactions from the staff and other patrons were very enlightning. What would you do with it?

2. Sherry Hewins profile image96
    Sherry Hewinsposted 6 years ago

I'm curious about your experience. But me, I think I would tell the cashier, or someone in charge at the restaurant, that I had found some cash, and if someone reported the loss and named the denomination of the bill they could call me. I would not leave it with anyone else as I would be concerned it would disappear.

3. Tricia Ward profile image82
    Tricia Wardposted 6 years ago

If it was in a building I would hand it in to staff. If it was outside on the ground I would pick it up and take it to the nearest police station. I have done that before with a lost key, rings and a bike. The ring and the bike I got asked if I wanted after it was unclaimed after a while. The bike I took to the recycle a bike charity for them to do up and sell to someone that needed it. I would do the same for the $100...you never know it may be unclaimed after a while.

4. wandererh profile image76
    wandererhposted 6 years ago

I would have picked it up, dusted it off, put it in my pocket and thanked my good fortune.

However, if it had been a larger figure, say $1000 or $10000 or more, I would have felt guilty taking the money.  I think I would have left the money with the police and informed the restaurant to direct anybody claiming to be the owner to the police.

5. FatFreddysCat profile image98
    FatFreddysCatposted 6 years ago

I'd put it in my pocket and stop at the beer store on the way home...

6. lburmaster profile image83
    lburmasterposted 6 years ago

Check it for any toxins then keep it. If you lose it, it belongs to whoever finds it. Watch your stuff.

7. Mac31 profile image60
    Mac31posted 6 years ago

Well I would have to say that turning it in would not be the thing that you would actually feel like doing, but somehow karma always finds away of appearing out of no where. 

So even if you really need the money you should still try and make the effort to give it back to the original holder.

With my luck, if I were to pocket the $100 I would probably end up losing $300 somehow.

8. cheaptoys profile image60
    cheaptoysposted 6 years ago

give it to the restaurant staff or pass it to the police if you dont trust the restaurant

9. the girls profile image81
    the girlsposted 6 years ago

Keep it? It's hard to identify the true owner of the $100 bill. Unless somebody will come up to the counter and informed the manager beforehand. That's really a difficult situation to be in. I should say,  finders- keepers in this story. The man can opt to give it away too.

10. okaygrace profile image61
    okaygraceposted 6 years ago

I found a $20 once, stepped on it and waited about 5 minutes to see if anyone came looking. No one did so I took it.

I don't think there is anything wrong with it. I have found wallets and turned them in, but plain old cash with no owner should not make you feel guilty about taking it.