jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Would you vote to include pet expenses such as vet bills as a tax deduction, esp

1. daisynicolas profile image79
    daisynicolasposted 5 years ago

Would you vote to include pet expenses such as vet bills as a tax deduction, especially for singles?

It's tax time. As a pet owner who spends as much to support a pet like a human parent does, don't you think that vet bills, care, education, etc., should also be deducted especially for singles?  Most responsible pet owners know that emergencies happen and it can devastate our finances.  Hey, our dogs are NOT JUST ANIMALS anymore.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/6344515_f260.jpg

2. Victoria Lynn profile image90
    Victoria Lynnposted 5 years ago

Yes, I would vote for that. I actually saw an article several years ago that a senator had raised that very issue. I think that it would encourage people to better care for their pets--give them better vet care, regular vaccinations, training....Great idea! I'm all for it. Those who didn't bother to take such good care of their pets wouldn't benefit from the deductions. I have halfway joked about his to my accountant for years!

3. TaxNerd profile image81
    TaxNerdposted 5 years ago

Absolutely not. The tax code is riddled with enough tax expenditures, it doesn't need ridiculous ones like this. You can't even begin deducting health costs for HUMANS until they exceed 10% of AGI. Pet ownership should not be subsidized by taxpayers.

4. nightwork4 profile image61
    nightwork4posted 5 years ago

not a chance. pets are just that, pets. when it gets to a point where we think of pets as being the same as having children, it will be a sad day.

5. Barbara Kay profile image91
    Barbara Kayposted 5 years ago

No. We have two dogs, but I still wouldn't approve of it. If we got tax deductions though, we might have more animals.

working