jump to last post 1-13 of 13 discussions (13 posts)

When times are hard, which is easier to give up - cellphone, Internet or dining

1. alexandriaruthk profile image75
    alexandriaruthkposted 5 years ago

When times are hard, which is easier to give up - cellphone, Internet or dining out?

You can add to the choices - designer clothing/wear, movies, other hobbies etc. What do you think?

2. lburmaster profile image82
    lburmasterposted 5 years ago

Eating out and movies. I already don't wear designer clothing. Cellphone is the only phone I have and some of my courses are online.

3. CWanamaker profile image95
    CWanamakerposted 5 years ago

For me it would be easiest to cut out dining out, movies, and other "entertainment" items like that first.  My cellphone and access to the internet has become an essential part of doing business everyday.

4. bankscottage profile image96
    bankscottageposted 5 years ago

I don't wear designer clothes or have expensive hobbies.  I need a cell phone for work and couldn't live without the internet.  I would cut out my satellite dish before cutting out the internet.  As much as I like eating out, that would probably be the hardest to justify continuing and the first that I would have to cut.

5. point2make profile image81
    point2makeposted 5 years ago

The cell phone would be the easiest to give up for me. I hardly ever use one. Eating out would be next but I would be devastated if I had to go without my Internet.

6. fitmom profile image83
    fitmomposted 5 years ago

We cut the majority of dining out years ago when we cut the budget so that I could stay at home with the kids. With young children, it is hard to find a sitter to go to movies. So, we stick to mostly free activities like going to the playground, park, riding bikes, playing in the yard, etc. These are the activities that children love and it keeps us active ( a good habit to set up for later on).

I could probably get rid of my cellphone if I absolutely had to; however, my hubby feels safer for me to have one. We definitely could not give up the Internet!

7. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

I would give up dining out, then cell phone if necessary, but not the internet - noooo--although I would get a lot more done around here.

8. melbelle profile image61
    melbelleposted 5 years ago

Cell phone and dining out would be the easiest to give up.  I need my internet connection though.  I have not gone out to a movie in years and designer clothes has never been in my budget..LOL.

9. haroldvillanueva profile image75
    haroldvillanuevaposted 5 years ago

I can easily give up the dining out part. but not the cellphone. And when you give up your internet, make sure you have a good data plan on your phone. smile)

10. joanwz profile image75
    joanwzposted 5 years ago

dining out, I don't wear designer clothing so I have no problem not buying it when funds are low, I buy less treats fro myself (flowers, godiva chocolate).

I need the internet to continue looking for work and other writing opportunities that pay. I need my cell phone so family can get hold of me and for emergencies (like that flat tire on the freeway going 65 mph the other day). I don't generally use the cell phone all that much anyway so I don't run up the bill and have never ever used up all my minutes - not by a long shot.

11. Janellegems profile image65
    Janellegemsposted 5 years ago

Dining out would be easier.  I only dine out on special occasions.  The next will be cell phone because I only use the cell phone when I am going out of town, traveling and for emergencies.  I cannot do without the internet at all.

12. Monique Graham profile image60
    Monique Grahamposted 5 years ago

Being a Mom of three sons eating out can be pretty expensive, therefore we do not do that much anyway.  For me, the cell phones are definitely the easiest to go.  Now when we start talking about the internet, I do not know about that.  I love my internet.  Even without the cell phones, people can still contact me via email given the fact that it is always up and running on my laptop.

13. profile image0
    oceansiderposted 5 years ago

Dining out is something that I have given up for quite awhile, especially since I lost my job.....now if someone wants to treat me to eating out, I always say yes!  As far as coffe goes, I have given up going to Starbucks because it is way too pricey, so I've been making my own coffee at home, and this way I can have it just the way I want it.  I hardly buy any clothes anymore, I just have to stay the same size so I don't need more clothing....and this saves quite a bit of $$$ too.