jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)

What do you think about some stores being open on Thanksgiving instead of waitin

1. Sunny River profile image61
    Sunny Riverposted 5 years ago

What do you think about some stores being open on Thanksgiving instead of waiting till midnight?

What are your thoughts on Black Friday in general?

2. oceanuniverse profile image60
    oceanuniverseposted 5 years ago

I thought the stores were open on THANKSGIVING? My sister normally works on THANKSGIVING at the grocery store.

1. Val Swabb profile image75
      Val Swabbposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I don't know about other places, but down south, until very recent, it's been rare for any store to be open.

3. Val Swabb profile image75
    Val Swabbposted 5 years ago

One word; YUCK.  Ok, now for more then one word.  Thanksgiving is supposed to be about family, friends, and helping each other out.  These stores are helping break our society, which was founded on family values and friendships, and service.  These stores are convincing people they just 'have to come out' or they're gonna miss out.  They are making people work who otherwise would be getting some usually much needed time with families.  Ok, for those who do not have the ability to be with families or friends, the stores are taking away time they could be giving to serve others. 
    Instead of opening on Thanksgiving, why not check around and organize a meal or get-together for people with nowhere else to go.  Personally, I think this would be great PR.  I'd certainly be more willing to shop at a store that did this, then one who was open on Thanksgiving.

Sunny Riverposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I agree whole heartedly. smile

4. Georgie Lowery profile image95
    Georgie Loweryposted 5 years ago

One of my best friends has to work at a big, chain retailer on T-Day and I don't think it's fair at all. If they're given a choice, then it's one thing. But they're scheduled and get in a lot of hot water if they don't show. There's no reason why any store needs to be open on any holiday.

I agree. The retailer I work for didn't even open at midnight until a couple years ago and even now unless we volunteer for the shift we aren't scheduled for it. It's horrible for a company to try and force a person to work on a holiday.

5. profile image73
    ElleBeeposted 5 years ago

Thankfully here in MA, Thanksgiving is a retail holiday and retail stores aren't allowed to be open.  In this economy people are already working overtime, two jobs etc. to support their family.  I think the employees deserve to have the holiday off and spend time with their families.  I respect businesses that choose to close on Thanksgiving and other holidays for the sake of their employees, and will gladly give them more of my business!

Wow. Maybe I should move. That sounds pretty awesome.

working