jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (7 posts)

How do you save money on food?

1. starx profile image66
    starxposted 4 years ago

How do you save money on food?

Frugal living can make us starve from some of the expensive or tasty dishes. And not all the time it is good to be content by starving ourselves. So how do you save on money without curbing on eating habits and wish of eating?

2. SidKemp profile image95
    SidKempposted 4 years ago

I buy raw ingredients and cook from scratch. Healthy grains, vegetables and beans or meat, and fruit.

1. SidKemp profile image95
      SidKempposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Also, I shop at ethnic food stores. Here in Florida, the Hispanic markets have much lower prices than other supermarkets. There are bargains at Oriental groceries as well.

And I make tea and fruit juice + seltzer beverages at home.

3. ZungTran profile image82
    ZungTranposted 4 years ago

Yep, I buy groceries and cook them myself. I saved lots of money by eating healthy, believe it or not smile
    When I was a student, I used to buy frozen products, frozen pork, chicken, diced vegetables - same quality for a non-gourmet like me and cut cost by about 30-40%. Usually bought in bulk and a $10 pack of frozen pork shoulders can last me a few days.
    Also, canned tuna is extremely healthy, diet friendly and super cheap.

4. livelifeworryfree profile image79
    livelifeworryfreeposted 4 years ago

Here are my top three:

Shop with a list
    Don't buy what I don't lead
    Search for sales, coupons and discounts before I grocery shop

5. Rochelle Frank profile image96
    Rochelle Frankposted 4 years ago

All good answers here. My favorite is to plant a vegetable garden. Yes there are a few expenses, but eating the fresh and 'free' produce is very satisfying and worth the effort.  When the garden is producing I spend much less at the grocery store.

6. freecampingaussie profile image62
    freecampingaussieposted 4 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/3221621_f260.jpg

While traveling we mainly make our own meals + coffee , look for bargains and decide when we are in the supermarket what we are going to have for dinner when we look at the price of meat & buy the cheapest .
    If you are rigid with a list you might buy dearer meat than if you are flexable.
    We are findind our cooking taste a lot better than restaurants as we cook to what we enjoy not mass cooking .

working