jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (10 posts)

Please grade yourself (from 1 to 100%) in terms of how well you handle your pers

1. fpherj48 profile image74
    fpherj48posted 2 years ago

Please grade yourself (from 1 to 100%) in terms of how well you handle your personal finances..

Would appreciate a brief explanation as to why you give yourself this grade.  Thanks!

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/7155705_f260.jpg

2. chuckandus6 profile image77
    chuckandus6posted 2 years ago

80 percent I will bargain shop but...I will get in type of moods to say let's go do something fun,and arcades movies restaurant and long drives add up. but I don't regret it

fpherj48posted 2 years agoin reply to this

Good grade and excellent response!  There is time for pinching pennies and ALSO time to just ENJOY the things that make us happy.  You have a good attitude!  Peace, Paula

2. chuckandus6 profile image77
      chuckandus6posted 2 years agoin reply to this

thanks Paula that is how I look at it

3. peachpurple profile image82
    peachpurpleposted 2 years ago

0% !

All the money in our household is being controlled by hubby. He pays for everything including grocery, household utility bills, kids education, etc.

Well, OK.....that settles that!  LOL.  Thanks for replying anyway!  Peace, Paula

4. ChristinS profile image96
    ChristinSposted 2 years ago

75% I could make some improvements especially in investing long-term, but I'm an excellent bargain shopper, extremely resourceful in how and where I use the money I have and I live a very simple lifestyle.  I do have the matter of having unstable income - part of the joys of being a freelancer, never know exactly what is going to come in and when.  That can make it difficult to budget as effectively as I'd like.

At 75% Christin you're still ahead of the game.  I know it's never easy, especially when we're raising kids.  Sounds to me like you're quite frugally creative!!  Good for you.  Peace, Paula

5. Sparklea profile image76
    Sparkleaposted 2 years ago

Paula, I am awful with numbers and percentages.  Upon reflection, I guess I would give myself a grade of 85 %. 
    I rarely use a credit card, except if I order off amazon.com...and I only do that if I have the money in my checking account.  I immediately write my husband a check after I order, as he pays the bills when they come in.
    I do not know how to use an ATM machine...hence no temptation to withdraw cash.
    I have a Christmas Club and savings account which I contribute to monthly.   The Christmas Club is great because I do not have to dip into my savings nor charge when it is time to Christmas shop.
    I also have a vacation account which I contribute to monthly...and when the time comes to go on a trip, we just take from that account.
    We have a 'house account' in which I deposit money each month.  This have been invaluable for when the washer breaks down, etc.
    I am absolutely terrified of stocks and investments.  My husband and I have a pacesetter account.  When that Ponzi scheme hit, we were safe, but a relative lost $300,000 and I know many celebrities lost a lot of money.  I want nothing to do with ANYTHING that has a speck of risk.
    I have a couple CDs which are doing bad because the interest is ridiculous, and I plan to make some changes when they mature. 
    Even though my husband pays the bills and I have a separate checking account, BOTH our names are on the checks in case of emergency, illness, or whatever. 
    Since my recreation is Barnes & Noble (weakness is buying books), reading, writing, and LOVE going to the movies, friends and family consistently give me Barnes & Noble and movie gift cards on special occasions.  This saves me a lot of money.
    I only buy clothes and shoes that I need.  I spend more money on books than anything else. 
    Since I am trying to clear out tons of clutter, my mantra is, "I don't need one thing in this house!" which is truly helping me eliminate.  Therefore I do not buy 'stuff' any more.  My books and gift cards serve me just fine.
    Thanks for a great question, Sparklea smile

Spark...Sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders. Keep in mind there are "used" book stores & yard sale books even Goodwill etc.  I am a book Hog too! LOL!  You're in great shape!  85% ABOVE average...Peace, Paula

working