jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

Family will, questions?

1. Castlepaloma profile image23
    Castlepalomaposted 6 years ago

I did not know where to go to ask this question, it’s tricky one and I hope to avoid a lawyer and a heavy family conflict.

On January 18, 2000, my mom went to a lawyer in Canada and had her Last Will and Testament done.  It is legally binding document of how she wanted her estate distributed.  It was also done well before (6 years) she was diagnosed with Alzheimer. She passed away one month ago

My brother is the Executor of the will for the last three years; he has been her primary care provider on her behalf which I had full legal right to do as she lived in a nursing home. He has a probate TFSA for me to sign, buit will not allow me to see the will. Not sure what my next move should be, because my brother can be a snake and my Mother may have a few 100 thousands in her will and so far he has only offered me $1000 and we are the only two members left in the family.

Has anyone, had an experience with a will any thing like this or has anyone have a tips you can share with me?

2. Quilligrapher profile image90
    Quilligrapherposted 6 years ago

There are two professions that I really try to avoid whenever possible: Doctors and Lawyers.  However, when I need one, I try to get the best. If you really believe your mother "may have a few 100 thousands in her will", then why are you so reluctant seek the advise of a good lawyer?
    I am not a lawyer so don't rely on anything I say.  But, whatever you do, don't sign any document without talking to a lawyer. But, in New York State, if you are mentioned in a will, or are a decendant of the deceased, you have a right to know the contents BEFORE the estate is settled.

Castlepalomaposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Thanks

Over 35 years in my own bussiness, I only needed a threat of a letter, twice from my Lawyer to settle a conflicts, I really don't like to do that on my brother, but I might have to as he keeps refusing to give me a copy of the will.

Do you mean they can't settle the estate without my knowing of the content of a copy of the will.

Could my brother just ignore me and try to collect everything in a short time span and get away with it?

1. Quilligrapher profile image90
        Quilligrapherposted 6 years ago in reply to this

You should be directing these questions to your attorney.

3. habee profile image90
    habeeposted 6 years ago

PLEASE consult a lawyer!!

4. Julie2 profile image60
    Julie2posted 6 years ago

The WILL should have been disclosed before the two of you... it seems rather odd that he would be the only one to have gotten a copy.

Castlepalomaposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Yes I have legal rights to a copy. My brother is the Executor of the will, so he can case me a hardship and cost me a lawyer, when we don't have to,  if he was playing fair.

working