jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (31 posts)

Why doesn't China have more stringent knife control laws?

1. JSChams profile image60
    JSChamsposted 5 years ago

Here's the story:

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/A/ … 2-06-05-46

Seems to me they need better knife control laws or just ban the things altogether. Knives kill people.

1. profile image58
      Yonder Moonposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Well, I think more urgently,  the USA needs better gun-control laws to be honest.

1. profile image0
        Tawadiposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I have some better ideas.

1. Tougher sentences for those who commit crimes.

2. Criminals must serve out their FULL sentence.

3. Build more prisons, if that's what it takes but keep these animals in cages where they belong.

4. No plea bargains. Do the crime, you'll do the time - PERIOD.

5. Bring back the death penalty.

As for gun control, they have it in Chicago and, on average, more people get killed there in one weekend than the number killed in the theater shooting in Colorado.

1. Josak profile image60
          Josakposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Countries that are successfully controlling their crime problems and minimizing re-offense are doing the exact opposite, in fact data shows that the death penalty has no impact on the crime rate and longer prison sentences increase crime.

1. profile image0

And facts also show in places where more people carry guns legally with permits, crime is lower. Seems the criminals have a problem with the odds being less in their favor, with a higher probability they'll get shot instead of their victim when they commit a crime.

1. jcales profile image62
              jcalesposted 5 years agoin reply to this

The USA has the HIGHEST murder rate among 1st world countries period for a long time. A gun is not a deterrent. It just means the criminal will get even more prepared to commit the crime.  In essence, more weapons ala 1998 in North Hollywood bank heist.
              If you make a law that says he can only get 1 to 2 guns, he'll just use false IDs and so on.
              Ever heard of a bank robbery with a knife.  Now, most every bank needs bulletproof glass for the tellers. It just goes on and on.
              Yes, I know.  These are your reasons to be armed.  Is it a coincidence, that some interviewed criminals pulled off their acts based on Hollywood movies?  cause & effect at its greatest

1. profile image0

My gun has deterred a few, jcales, and I didn't have to draw it. Just the sight of it my holster turned them away. Seems like a win-win to me. The criminal didn't get shot and I didn't have to shoot anyone. Works for me.

2. Josak profile image60

I am not disputing that and I fully support gun ownership, it's just the measures you posted in the comment I replied to don't work and doing the opposite does.

2. twosheds1 profile image60
      twosheds1posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Here's a good reason why: you can do things with knives besides kill people. I just sharpened a pencil with one. I used one preparing dinner last night, and spread butter on my toast with one this morning. I haven't stabbed anyone in ages, and even if I did, the chances of them dying from a stab wound are pretty low, unless a major artery is cut or they don't get medical attention.

If knives had no other purpose than kiling, and were capaable of killing without much physical effort, without getting close to one's victim, and capable of killing lots of people in short order, then maybe they should be regulated more closely.

JSChamsposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Did you read the article? See how much damage the knife did?

1. Will Apse profile image89
          Will Apseposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I'm sure knifes are the weapon of choice for some psychopaths, but physical cowards prefer guns.

This is not about guns. Stay on topic.

2. profile image0

From what I've seen, cowards don't use anything at all. They're the ones hiding behind the ones who carry weapons legally or the ones with the tape outline of where they were murdered with their cell phone in their hand trying to dial 911.

2. Josak profile image60

Most countries have knife laws actually, I had to get a special dispensation for my Grandfathers stiletto in Australia and I can't carry it, most countries don't allow switch knives and knives made for concealment.

3. twosheds1 profile image60
          twosheds1posted 5 years agoin reply to this

In Cleveland, OH, where I live, knives are regulated. You cannot carry a knife with a blade longer than 4 inches (the length of a cop's badge). But regardless, stabbing deaths are fairly rare, compared to deaths with other weapons I will not mention, because I'm playing your game. Also, multiple killings like the one in the article, are also quite rare. Most murders are one-on-one.

But that also doesn't mean that dangerous weapons shouldn't be regulated.

2. JSChams profile image60

Why is everyone off topic? I posted about knives and how they kill.....

1. profile image0

Sorry about that, JS. I responded to Yonder Moon and everything took a left turn.

If they outlaw knives, does that mean one of my favorite restaurants will have to go out of business? It's one of those where you sit and watch the chef cook the food and toss knives around.

I just hope we can keep this from getting out of hand and having sword fights out in the street. But the Republicans will probably block any legislation like they usually do. They want people to be knighted you know.

1. JBrumett profile image60
          JBrumettposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I have no respect for people who cannot wield a two-handed broad sword.  =-P

1. profile image0

Here! Here! I agree, wholeheartedly!!!

2. MelissaBarrett profile image60
            MelissaBarrettposted 5 years agoin reply to this

+1

2. Cody Hodge profile image70
      Cody Hodgeposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Did you hear the Dodgers got Cliff Lee?

Most people think it was because he was a bargain at the moment..

I'm thinking it's because he was pro-knife...

3. JSChams profile image60

You would have thought a place as forward thinking as china would have had a situation like this under control for some time.
    After all, and there are prominent people in our progressive society who will affirm this, we are supposed to be like China!

What is our problem?

4. Hugh Williamson profile image87
    Hugh Williamsonposted 5 years ago

I wish the Chinese would outlaw those little finger handcuffs. Those things are murder.

5. Shadesbreath profile image85
    Shadesbreathposted 5 years ago

I believe cars are used as weapons with alarming frequency too. I think their should be better car control laws as well.

6. profile image0
    Motown2Chitownposted 5 years ago

And frying pan control laws among Italian American women.

1. MelissaBarrett profile image60
      MelissaBarrettposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I'm for that!

Honey... You'll have to cook... my license has expired.

7. udontnomi profile image61
    udontnomiposted 5 years ago

I think you can go one further. How about government mind control?

1. Shadesbreath profile image85
      Shadesbreathposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Not enough people use their minds to make that law worth passing.

1. Will Apse profile image89
        Will Apseposted 5 years agoin reply to this

lol.

2. udontnomi profile image61
        udontnomiposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I should have thought of that.  roll

working