jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (19 posts)

John McCain at GOP Convention

1. Mighty Mom profile image90
    Mighty Momposted 5 years ago

He looks beaten and sad/resigned.
    Remember how riled up he was on the camaign in 2008?
    He just used the words "America is an exceptional nation."

Maybe I am reading too much into it. I's really sad.
    I can't say his heart is not in it. But he seems forced to me.

Your thoughts?

1. profile image0
      Sooner28posted 5 years ago in reply to this

I agree.  I think he feels like he could've beaten Obama if the economy hadn't tanked, kind of a fate that is beyond our control.

I don't know though.  He sold out a lot of what made him admirable when he ran in 08.  I was sad to watch it happen.  A man against the Bush tax cuts, and in favor of campaign finance reform turned into a right-wing Tea Party extremist.

Mighty Momposted 5 years ago in reply to this

He's still hawkish as ever, though!

1. Ralph Deeds profile image69
          Ralph Deedsposted 5 years ago in reply to this

He sure is, and he's out of touch with many in his own party, not to mention Democrats, independents and Libertarians.

2. phion profile image62
      phionposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Any man who can't raise his arms past chest level because he was tortured in the name of our country deserves to look as tired as he wants. God bless America.

Mighty Momposted 5 years ago in reply to this

He didn't look tired in 2008 when he was "Angry" John McCain. These last four years have taken a toll on old John. I think he's never quite recovered from choosing Palin as his running mate.
        lol

1. profile image0
          SassySue1963posted 5 years ago in reply to this

No but at his age, four years is a long time. I've seen my Dad go downhill rapidly in just the last two years. I know you meant no offense, I guess given my personal situation I just don't find it amusing to watch age catch up with someone like that.

As for Palin, hindsight is 20/20. I wouldn't make a very good politician I suppose because I would have pulled her off the ticket and replaced her in a heartbeat after her first dreadful interview on TV.

2. profile image0
        Sooner28posted 5 years ago in reply to this

We've tortured a lot of people in the name of our country :p.

3. Ralph Deeds profile image69

John McCain, is an admirable American, but he would have us at war in Syria and Iran and keep us in Afghanistan for another 11 years. He's out of touch with most Americans including many Republicans, not to mention Ron Paul and his Libertarians.

1. phion profile image62
        phionposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Ralph~
        Are you related to Nostradamus? You have incredible insight into people whom you have never met or spoken to. What does Libertarian mean to you?

In the context of this discussion, Libertarian means to me Ron Paul's advocacy of pulling back from U.S. military commitments around the world. (I am not related to Nostradamus.)
          I've followed McCain for many years, and in many ways I admire him for his Navy service and for his courage and independence on many issues. I disagree with his maximal position on the United States duty to defend liberty around the world, using military power where necessary.

1. KFlippin profile image61
            KFlippinposted 5 years ago in reply to this

So, disagreeing with McCain about our "duty" to defend liberty around the world (which without such a mind set, the world would be extraordinarily different than it is today), is some how a justification for  electing someone yet again who would see the very "liberty" of the the citizens of this country further curtailed except to the extent the fed says/defines what it is/what we can have as  actual "liberty".  I highly doubt you realize what you espouse and envision for the future of this country, and one day you will see more clearly.   As always, I respect and pay close attention to what you say at critical times.....

I'm clearly aware of the implications of what I espouse and that what you apparently espouse is resulting in a distopian, plutocratic corporatetocracy.

2. Hollie Thomas profile image60
              Hollie Thomasposted 5 years ago in reply to this

You might find that other nations, and not just in the Middle East, define liberty in a very different context to yourself. When the US talks about "defending liberty around the world"  the rest of us raise our eyebrows and wait for the bombing to begin.

4. kartika damon profile image75
      kartika damonposted 5 years ago in reply to this

...maybe he is just looking like the shell of a man he is - he sold out and was willing to take down the country to advance his own power - Sarah Palin!!??? I don't think he is admirable - I think he ran out credit on that one...

2. profile image0
    SassySue1963posted 5 years ago

I did not get to see McCain at the Convention (though I'm about to go searching to take a look) however, you do realize his age yes? I've noticed when I've seen him speaking on other things that he does not have the energy he once did. I wouldn't read any more into it than that.

3. profile image0
    screamingposted 5 years ago

He looked and sounded like a Captain of a sinking ship!

1. KFlippin profile image61
      KFlippinposted 5 years ago in reply to this

the sinking ship is the United States of America, and if more folks don't get that and soon, we will truly sink as the country that has been the example of success for the entire world for many many years - not terribly hard to comprehend.

4. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 5 years ago

McCain - where do they get this re-embalmed has-been from? Do they rob a grave?

working