jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (15 posts)

Personal Attacks and Argumentation

1. profile image0
    Sooner28posted 4 years ago

http://www.forwardprogressives.com/alex … o-go-away/

I'm a liberal.  Read anything I've written, and it's obvious.

However, I have a problem with this.  The author of this piece claims:

"This pile of crap is going around promoting the idea that the Boston Marathon bombing is some government conspiracy.

He's saying that the bombing at the Boston Marathon has been conducted under a "false flag."  You see, the term false flag is a naval term from long ago where naval ships would fly flags not of their origin to avoid attack.  They flew these "false flags" to cover up the truth about what kinds of ships they actually were."

The author never, at any point, addresses any of Jones's actual claims.  There is an attempt at guilt by association with a list of alleged "ridiculous beliefs" he has floated in the past, but there is not one argument against his claim about the Boston bombings.

I'm not defending Jones at all.  But this is a perfect illustration of the WRONG way to argue against a position.  Instead of being specific and showing where the disagreement with Jones is, the author engages in ad hominem attacks and guilt by association (even assuming the entire list the author provided is nonsense, it does not necessarily follow that this claim Jones makes is wrong.  For example, if I claim the moon landing was a hoax, and that George Bush is the worst president in recent history, does my claim about Bush become nullified simply because I claim the moon landing was a hoax?  Clearly not!)

This author begs the question at the beginning (by assuming what authorities have said about the Boston bombing is true), and then says Jones is crazy for not believing.  The correct procedure would have been to explain the absurdity of Jones's position as the author sees it, rather than trying to argue by royal decree.  To extend the moon landing example, it would be similar to me claiming people who question the official story are nut jobs because they don't accept the official story.  See how ridiculous of an argument that is?  There is no real engagement at all.

We can all learn and be more vigilant when it comes to addressing people's arguments that are a different political persuasion than our own.

2. innersmiff profile image70
    innersmiffposted 4 years ago

And this person is writing for a website called 'Forward progressives'?? Is vile ad-hominem the 'progressive' thing to do now?

1. profile image0
      Sooner28posted 4 years ago in reply to this

I haven't read anything else on it.  I read a lot of liberal sources, but I don't like direct attacks without argument.

3. innersmiff profile image70
    innersmiffposted 4 years ago

Other headlines by this website:
    "Voted for George W Bush? Then just stop talking"
    "Who said it? A Republican or an insane person?"

This is not to be taken seriously. Moving on.

4. profile image56
    Lie Detectorposted 4 years ago

I wouldn't recommend visiting this site my computer just started behaving very odd.

1. innersmiff profile image70
      innersmiffposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Your computer might be allergic to BS.

1. profile image56
        Lie Detectorposted 4 years ago in reply to this

That is completely possible.

2. Zelkiiro profile image86
      Zelkiiroposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Firefox + NoScript + AdBlocker = lol what problems?

1. profile image56

Ask Penn and Teller or Jon Stewart.

5. Zelkiiro profile image86
    Zelkiiroposted 4 years ago

Sounds like someone's bitter at the fact that avoiding computer mishaps is simple and easy.

1. profile image56

Says the guy who uses magicians and fake news hosts as stellar commentary on important matters.

1. Zelkiiro profile image86

Anyone can comment on any issue, as long as they do good research.

1. profile image56

I often seek out entertainers for their opinions they are always so grounded in reality.

1. Zelkiiro profile image86

Belittling someone's opinion because of their profession?

Sounds like good ol' classic ad hominem to me, which is conveniently what this thread is about!

1. profile image56

Ok, sounds right to me. I'll stand by it.

working