How do you respond when commenters make personal attacks on you about your faith

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (23 posts)
  1. dianetrotter profile image61
    dianetrotterposted 11 years ago

How do you respond when commenters make personal attacks on you about your faith or your comments?

Do you argue?  Is that profitable?  Do you report the offender?  Is that loving?
    This relates to Hubs that are decidely about Christianity.

2. MickS profile image60
    MickSposted 11 years ago

None, I don't become upset by electronic signals............

3. Tricia Ward profile image81
    Tricia Wardposted 11 years ago

I have made the mistake at times of commenting on hubs and people begin to rip into you. The fact of the matter is that I am not necessarily going to agree with everyone else's Christian theology, let alone someone who believes something else or not at all.
    You know my youth leader years ago gave me some useful advice

Sharing your Faith is like a young bird getting fed by its mother....if the baby birds does not want fed, or if the mother feeds it too fast it will choke.

If something chokes the natural reaction is to gag and try and throw the stuff up as a survival action. Likewise if you are force fed then you won't like the person forcing you.
    So in the case of the bird it needs fed bit by bit at the right time.

So to answer to your question someone who wants to argue and make personal attacks is someone who is not ready to hear. They are spitting anything you say back out and and they will probably be more resentful and bitter at your attitude.

Someone interested with questions will have a different tone to their reply

dianetrotterposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Tricia!  I whole heartdly agree.  The main thing to do is to "no" attack the person's intelligence.

4. sleepylog profile image60
    sleepylogposted 11 years ago

No, I simply don't approve their comment... Ignoring them and denying approval of their comment is the best way to shut them up.

5. Goody5 profile image59
    Goody5posted 11 years ago

Sooner or later this happens to everyone if you stay on the Internet long enough. There's no benefit of fighting with some idiot who's hiding behind a computer and spitting out ridiculous & offending cyber opinions. Ignore them and deny their comments especially if it's on your own hub. Here's a hub I wrote some time ago when I had a difficult person to deal with here on the Hub Pages - http://goody5.hubpages.com/hub/How-to-d … -hub-pages This same person has since been banned from the Hub Pages. I wonder why?????

Unfortunately I just had to report someone.  Going to your article now ...

6. Ericdierker profile image46
    Ericdierkerposted 11 years ago

I just love this question. These days we generally do not have enemies attacking our home. Wars and battles are left to professionals. We may have spirited competition in our work and social life, but really no enemies. So how and when can we follow the toughest of all commandments; to love our enemies. It is here. When we are attacked, treated poorly, spit upon in writing, cursed and personally attacked. We must respond with a resounding thank you for an opportunity to react intelligently, with grace and a loving spirit. If we do not, perhaps our antagonists are right about our faith.
    (by the way, I am not very good at it -- but I try ;-)

Eric, you are the most skilled deflector of attacks that I have seen on the Internet.  You have the patience of Job.

2. celafoe profile image53
      celafoeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

i guess you are sheltered.   where do you live?   certainly not Orlando or NY or Chicago or detroit or Miami or many more cities in the usa where attacks on homes are a daily occurance.

7. profile image0
    VeronicaInspiresposted 11 years ago

I've never had that experience, but if it happened, I wouldn't get angry, I would listen to what they're saying and try to understand their perspective. "A gentle answer will calm a person' anger, but an unkind answer will cause more anger."

Geez Veromica!  Where do you live?  How long have you been interacting on the Internet?  Don't feel left out.  It's coming!

2. profile image0
      VeronicaInspiresposted 11 years agoin reply to this

LOL!!! I LIVE online...I've had the backlash, just not on HubPages... and I didn't report it, because it wasn't in the context of a writing community, so I just let if roll off my back and I let God do the vindicating! And that approachworked well!!

3. dianetrotter profile image61

Yeah I just read about you.  Very impressive!  Thank you for your contribution.

4. profile image0
      VeronicaInspiresposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank YOU Diane!

8. nina64 profile image69
    nina64posted 11 years ago

Hello dianetrotter,  In my opinion, it doesn't make sense to argue with anyone when it comes to religion. People have their beliefs and those are their opinions. I would never convince someone to take on whatever I believe in if they choose not to. That is not the christian thing to do. I would ignore their comments and keep it moving. I don't have time to argue with anyone about their religious convictions.

1. celafoe profile image53
      celafoeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

sorry but you are wrong. we have an obligation to help a brother that has an incorrect understanding of the scriptures not meaning to nitpick  but on matters that can affect their lives esp if sin is involved.
      we have no right to correct  unbelievers

9. celafoe profile image53
    celafoeposted 11 years ago

i take nothing personally and none of my comments are to be taken as an attack on the person .
    BUT if what is put forth is not scriptural I will attack it without mercy as there is no room for false teachings in the name of Christianity.   there is too much of that now.  The churches are full of it.    Scripture clearly tells us if you profess to teach you are judged by a stricter yardstick.   So if you cant stand the heat when you are wrong dont try to teach scripture.   And neither I or God care what you think we only care what scripture says.   So many on here say "thats what I believe"   sorry but what you believe must line up with scripture or you have no right to teach it as such.     True love is saying what needs to be  said whether it is welcome or not.   see Timothy.     Also if  it is put out publicly correction is in public  if in private correction is private.   Quite a few on here think they the right to teach anything they believe but when they put it under Christianity they have no right to do so.
    If the person is open to scriptural truth i will supply scripture documentation but if their mind is made up and they want to push "what they believe " instead of scriptural truth I tell them and ask God to judge between them and me , that is His job not mine.

Thank you for answering Celafoe!  I make every attempt to relate my statements to Scripture also.  Be blessed!

10. profile image0
    snapcracklepopposted 7 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13179490_f260.jpg

I follow the advice given at Proverbs 26:4, as well as the old adage: "Just because you're invited to an argument doesn't mean you have to accept the invitation."

dianetrotterposted 7 years agoin reply to this

You are so right!  Would you like to join by discussion?  Why can't people discuss race in a productive manner?

2. profile image0
      snapcracklepopposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Thank you. Send me a link and I will check out your discussion on race.

3. dianetrotter profile image61
      dianetrotterposted 7 years agoin reply to this

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)