Muslims and the American tapestry?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (42 posts)
  1. Quilligrapher profile image74
    Quilligrapherposted 8 years ago

Irrational religious bigots are found everywhere, including here on Hubpages. So, I thought it would be nice, for a change, to invite comments about the positive contributions made to the American tapestry by fellow Americans that are also Muslims.

If you served in the military, you probably served with other Americans who were Muslims. They have been contributing to the fabric of this country too. More than 3,700 Muslims serve in uniform on active duty in our military today alongside nearly 6,300 Buddhists, and more than 1,500 Wiccans. They are all Americans just like you and me.

Last year, President Obama spoke as the host of the annual White House Iftar Dinner, a tradition begun by former President G.W. Bush, who held eight Ramadan dinners while in the Oval Office. The event is an expression of President Bush’s desire to stress that America is not at war with Islam and all Muslims are not our enemy. The U.S. State Department, in fact, hosted its first iftar for Muslim-Americans at the State Department in 1999.

Mohammad Ali, a Muslim, contributed to the fabric of America when he said, “I know I got it made while the masses of black people are catchin' hell, but as long as they ain't free, I ain't free.” I believe “The Greatest” is very much a part of the fabric of America.

In 1492, Columbus sailed to North America with a book written by Portuguese Muslims who had navigated their way to the New World in the 12th century.

Ten to fifteen percent of all African slaves in the United States were Muslims. The stains from their blood, sweat and tears can never be washed from the fabric of America.

When Benjamin Franklin spoke out against the massacre of Native Americans by Scotch-Irish frontiersmen in Pennsylvania, he quoted the Prophet Mohammad’s words on kindness toward captives.

The town of Yarrow, Maryland, is named after a freed African born Muslim slave, Yarrow Mamout, who together with his daughter-in-law made significant contributions to the fabric of that community. I urge you to use Google to learn the number of cities in the US that have been named Mecca and Medina.

Muslims have fought and have died fighting for the United States beginning with the revolutionary war. Sadly, their numbers have never been tallied.

The abolition of slavery in Tunisia (1846) had a profound influence on the demise of slavery here in North America. Furthermore, The Ottoman Empire supported the North during the Civil War.

After the Civil War, President Andrew Johnson invited an envoy from Tunisia to the White House to transport a message of appreciation to his nation for its principled stance against slavery.

In 1957, President Dwight Eisenhower attended the opening of The Islamic Center of Washington, DC. In his speech he said, "Under the American Constitution this Center, this place of worship is as welcome as could be any similar edifice of any religion. Americans would fight with all their strength for your right to have your own church and worship according to your own conscience."

Dr. Fazlur Rahman Khan, a Muslim from Bangladesh, designed Chicago’s John Hancock Center (1970), One Shell Plaza in Houston (1971), and the Sears Towers in Chicago (1973). The Muslim who contributed these landmarks to the American landscape is an integral part of our heritage.

Keith Ellison and Andre Carson are currently contributing  to the fabric of America as the first Muslims elected to Congress.

According to the American Religious Identification Survey, 10 percent of Muslims are Latino, 15 percent are white, 27 percent are Black and 34 percent are Asian.

Some Americans are needlessly living in abject fear of Sharia law. However, Sharia courts, established and funded by the government, co-exist today with the Jewish legal system in Israeli. Not one citizen has ever been beheaded or mutilated as a result.

Muslims have had a profound influence on America and their contributions are woven into the American tapestry. We are fortunate to have them.

Anyone with positive comments to share?
    http://s2.hubimg.com/u/6919429.jpg

1. tsmog profile image84
      tsmogposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Provocative and informative to say the least. The presented information with historical context offers much to consider while pondering. I thank you for informing me. Perspective is more centered now.

Quilligrapherposted 8 years agoin reply to this

You are welcome, tsmog.
        Q.

2. Dean Traylor profile image95
      Dean Traylorposted 8 years agoin reply to this

You can even go further back to the Golden Age of Islam when Muslim scholars preserved the writings of Greeks and Romans -- the works that would later influence the Renaissance and the Age on Enlightenment in Europe and the American Colonies. Also, several founding fathers had expressed admiration for Mohammad's teaching.
      Also, during this time, the concept of math took many leaps forward.

1. gmwilliams profile image84
        gmwilliamsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Not to mention advancements in math such as algebra.  Moslems advanced the sciences and medicine.   Moslems created great learning centers in Spain and pretty much advanced Spanish culture and society. Not only in Spain but in parts of southern Europe.  Moslems also left an inedible mark in Sicily.  In parts of Europe the Moslems were in, civilization and culture progressed to an advanced level where there was a high standard in the quality of living and education.

3. Quilligrapher profile image74

http://usercontent2.hubimg.com/12678137.jpg
      Elias A. Zerhouni has made extraordinary contributions in the field of medical imagery and he is recognized as one of America’s outstanding Muslim immigrants.

After being graduated from the University of Algiers School of Medicine in 1975, he began a remarkable career at Johns Hopkins that included Chief resident in diagnostic radiology (1978), assistant professor (1979), associate professor (1985),  director of the MRI division, chair of the Russell H. Morgan department of radiology and radiological science, Martin Donner professor of radiology and professor of biomedical engineering and, ultimately, Executive Vice-Dean of Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine.

In 1985, he was a consultant to the administration of President Ronald Reagan, and three years later, appointed  a consultant to the World Health Organization.

Having been appointed by President G. W. Bush, he served six years as director of the National Institutes of Health (2002-2008). After leaving the NIH, Dr. Zerhouni was appointed to the boards of the Lasker Foundation, Research!America, and the Mayo Clinic.

Our culture welcomed Dr. Zerhouni when he was just 24 years old and America has been reaping the benefits of his contributions ever since.

4. profile image0
      jonnycomelatelyposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Quoting from Ahorseback's post subsequent to this, "We can color our wants and desires  and needs for a  politically correct and perfect world  about any way we want to..." I will omit the second clause here, because it continues with negativity. 

I am much better informed now as a consequence of your discussion, Quilligrapher.  Thank you. 

Bias and bigotry need to be confronted and dealt with where ever and when ever they arise.

No, Johnny, it is I who thanks you for respecting the positive tone of this thread. I have tried to keep the focus on Muslims in America and their constructive contributions throughout history.
        http://usercontent2.hubimg.com/12685745.png
        For example, Zainab Salbi is an author, woman's rights activist, humanitarian, social entrepreneur, and media commentator who is the founder and former CEO (1993-2011) of Washington-based Women for Women.

After graduation from George Mason University with a Bachelor’s degree in Sociology and Women’s Studies, Ms. Salbi earned a Master's degree in Development Studies from  the London School of Economics. 

In 1995, President Bill Clinton honored her at the White House for her humanitarian work in Bosnia. She and her husband started Women for Women International in 1993 which has supported women survivors of war in Bosnia and Herzegovina, Rwanda, Kosovo, Nigeria, Colombia, Afghanistan, Iraq, Democratic Republic of Congo and Sudan. Under her tenure as the CEO, the organization reached more than 400,000 women in eight conflict areas, distributed more than $100 million in direct aid and microcredit loans, trained thousands of women in rights awareness, and helped thousands more to start their own small businesses.

In recognition of her contributions,
        Time magazine named her Innovator of the Month,
        Harper's Bazaar included her among its 21st Century Heroines,
        Forbes Magazine awarded her its Trailblazer Award, and
        The Conrad N. Hilton non-profit charitable foundation presented her organization with its Humanitarian Prize.

Other accolades include:
        World Economic Forum's Young Global Leader (2007),
        David Rockefeller Bridging Leadership Award (2010),
        Austin College Posey Leadership Award (2011),
        Honorary Doctorate Degree from York University (2014),
        Fortune Magazine’s “One of the Most Influential Women on Twitter” (2014),
        One of the Most Influential Women on Social Media, Wear Your Voice (2015)
        One of the 100 Most Powerful Arab Women, Arabian Business (2015)

In 2005, Zainab Salbi published her memoir Between Two Worlds Escape from Tyranny: Growing up in the Shadow of Saddam in which she describes her life growing up in Iraq as the daughter of Saddam Hussein's personal pilot.

She also published 
        The Other Side of War: Women's Stories of Survival and Hope (2006), and
        If You Knew Me You Would Care (2013).

She is Muslim having a positive influence on America.

2. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 8 years ago

We can color our wants and desires  and needs for a  politically correct and perfect world  about any way we want to ,  however any interest in looking at statistics for Islam in wikislam ?     I know this thread is a positive feedback for influence by Islam in America  but take a look at  Wiki-Islam  for a few , perhaps not so positive influences,  in the Islamic world .     Might be an eye opener .

1. profile image0
      PrettyPantherposted 8 years agoin reply to this

"I don't like political correctness" is code for "I wish I could spout my bigoted and hateful beliefs without being called on it."

1. profile image0
        ahorsebackposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Okay Pretty Panther , did you check out Wiki-islam ,   yes or no ?    Or is it Wiki that's bigoted ?

1. profile image0

There are plenty of not-so-positive influences from Christianity, too.  Would you like me to list them, then use them to justify that it's a bad idea to vote for any Christian?

I don't want to get into it on this thread, as it is supposed to focus on the positive, so that's the last I'll respond.  Sorry, Quill.

1. profile image0

Okay so lets watch the accolades build !

2. Quilligrapher profile image74

There are so many examples, PP, of Muslims that have made positive contributions to the multicultural fabric of American society. Here are a few:

http://usercontent2.hubimg.com/12670441.jpg
            Iranian-American engineer Anousheh Ansari, co-founder/chairwoman of Prodea System and the co-founder and former CEO of Telecom Technologies, Inc., became the first Muslim woman in space.

http://usercontent2.hubimg.com/12670443.jpg
            Zalmay Mamozy Khalilzad began serving America as an adviser to the White House, State Department and Pentagon in 1985. After his appointments as US Ambassador to Afghanistan (2003-2005), Iraq (2005-2007), and the United Nations (2007-2009), he became the highest-ranking Muslim American in the Administration
            of President George W. Bush.

http://usercontent1.hubimg.com/12670444.jpg
            American scholar Dalia Mogahed received the "Forward Under 40" award for outstanding contributions by a graduate of the University of Wisconsin. She also worked at the Gallup Center as chairwoman for Muslim Studies from 2006-2012 while researching and polling Muslims throughout the world. Ms. Mogahed has been recognized as one of the most influential Arab women in America and one of the 500 most influential Muslims in the world.

http://usercontent1.hubimg.com/12670446.jpg
            Acclaimed for being outspoken and highly controversial, Amina Wadud has a worldwide reputation as an American scholar of Islam with a progressive focus on the interpretation of the Qur'an. She is a renowned advocate of Islamic feminism, interfaith dialogue, and a proponent of women as imams. 

http://usercontent1.hubimg.com/12670448.jpg
            Michael Wolfe is an American poet, author, publisher and award-winning producer of films and documentaries. He holds a degree in Classics from Wesleyan University and is a frequent lecturer at universities across the United States including Harvard, Georgetown, Stanford, SUNY Buffalo, and Princeton. Soon after 9/11/2001, he edited a collection of essays by American Muslims called Taking Back Islam: American Muslims Reclaim Their Faith that won the 2003 annual Wilbur Award for "Best Book of the year on a Religious Theme". Michael is an American Muslim listed in the third edition of "The 500 Most Influential Muslims,"

2. tsmog profile image84
          tsmogposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Just a footnote Wikiislam is not a part of Wikipedia. It is just a Wiki type website as format for article contribution and editing.

1. profile image0

Either way  , Islam seems to be about a hundred years" behind the times " as to the way they treat women , children  , gays  ,  or anyone even  thinking about  picking up on  another faith !     

*All 10 of the countries with worst  gender gaps are Muslim

*95% percent of all suicide attacks are Muslims

*4 out of 5 most dangerous countries for women are Muslim

*of 13 nations where the punishment for atheism is death , 10 are Muslim

*All seven  Muslim majority nations have negative opinions of Jewish people

*Most violent attacks in Europe are  from Muslim to Jewish

*Islamic are not allowed to change faiths - as per death penalty ?

All from WikIslam  ,
            Just saying .

2. GA Anderson profile image89
        GA Andersonposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Calm down PrettyPanther, a good marksman knows to relax and control their breathing before pulling the trigger.

ahorseback must have had you hyperventilating when you posted that response, because I think it was a scatter-shot that did more damage to you than your, (I think ), intended target.

Speaking of "I think," I think that might have been a good qualifier for your statement. At least from my perspective it would have added a little credibility.

For instance;

I also don't like Political Correctness. To pick a frequently heard example; an Illegal immigrant is not just an undocumented worker to me. And Jenner had a sex change, (or is having????), not a gender reassignment. Does that mean I have bigoted and hateful beliefs?

It appears you agree with the thrust of the OP, but resorting to insults and derogatory statements  is usually a sign of insecurity.

GA

1. profile image0

Hello GA, perhaps I should have included "I think" but I believe that is pretty self-evident.  As far as my "target," perhaps I should have been more specific and state precisely who, but that might have drawn a click on the "Report" button.  So, I kept it general.  However, if you read through this thread and others you will see who is constantly referring to a challenge to his or her statements as "political correctness."

So, in short, I stand by my statement, as it applies to this thread.  As far as whether it not it applies to you personally or others who decry political correctness, well, it would only be my opinion.  ;-)

But, consider this.  I don't care whether illegal immigrants are referred to as such or are called undocumented workers.  It matters not one whit to me.  But, if it matters to you that they prefer to be referred to as undocumented workers, what does that mean?  They are the ones with the label, and if they don't like a particular label, and propose a new one, as long as it is accurate, why do you care?

Let me give you some examples that might be easier to see because they have already been accepted:  American "Indians" preferring to be called "Native Americans," or  secretaries preferring to be referred to as "secretaries" instead of "my girl" (I am old enough to remember that one). 

I don't know if I'm explaining this very well, but from my perspective, those who are frequently uptight about political correctness are, more often than not, simply upset that they can't say what they want without being challenged on it.

Just my opinion, of course.

2. Quilligrapher profile image74

Thank you for commenting, Ahorseback. The inherent inability to acknowledge Islam’s positive influences on American culture has been noted.

1. profile image0

The Inherent  inability , it seems , is  for the Islamic  world to evolve in human rights , religious rights ,  women's rights and children's  rights issues  , why sugar coat  something ....... well .something that isn't so sweet  !    Take a look at Wikislam statistics  , Quilligrapher ?   I do know you like statistics .   The Islamic regional track record speaks volumes .

Actually, the historic record of Islam’s positive contributions also speaks volumes and those accrued benefits are, in fact, the topic of this discussion. If you have something positive to add, please join in.

After Kieth Ellison was elected as the first American Muslim congressman, he swore his oath of office on a Quran that had belonged to Founder Thomas Jefferson. This Quran, hand-marked with the initials “TJ,” is on display in the Library of Congress, right next to Jefferson’s copy of the Old Testament.

During the Lincoln years, Tunisian Major General Heussein wrote an anti-slavery letter carried by the American consul to then Secretary of State William H. Seward. In his own words, Heussein described the ultimate abolition of slavery in Tunisia giving credit to the guidance of the Quran on the issue. President Abraham Lincoln was so impressed by his words that he had the letter reprinted in its entirety and widely disseminated throughout the states. The letter, discussed widely in the American press, was lauded by American abolitionists. Slavery was abolished in the United States in 1865.

Anyone else have something positive to add?

3. profile image0
    PrettyPantherposted 8 years ago

On a personal note, my husband served in the U.S. military and worked closely with Muslims during the Iran hostage crisis.  An Egyptian Muslim was best man at his wedding (not to me, but to his previous wife who passed away many years ago).  My husband is fond of saying that working and living alongside people of all races and religions will quickly dissipate any bigotry.  Muslims assist the U.S. military in operations all over the world.

1. Don W profile image81
      Don Wposted 8 years agoin reply to this

". . . working and living alongside people of all races and religions will quickly dissipate any bigotry".

Ne'er a truer word was spoken.

4. colorfulone profile image77
    colorfuloneposted 8 years ago

I recently found this Wiki site via another thread, 
    http://wikiislam.net/wiki/Main_Page
    Read it before it gets completely rewritten.
    Yuk!

1. profile image0

That sight actually should be re-written , especially if one is attempting the  glamorization of  the Islamic world , might actually be a bit embarrassing . Check out the list of honor killings ?   How about those who change from Islam to say Christianity ?   How about persecution of Homosexuals ?   Do you know the meaning of Apastasy ? How about a woman's rights in Islam [none]?     

If we are going to point out the positive here  , might as well throw in some truths about Islam over there  .

5. profile image0

We have to remember that there are westernized  Muslims , and those that aren't ,   As in all  ethnic or religious immigrants  or exiles ,  Some bring an extreme culture with them and some don't, pretty simple , Is it not hypocritical however to glorify  Islam in our culture when in their own homeland human rights are behind the times , like way behind ?

Those  who practice Islam  HERE , are they not  actually practicing a hybrid Islamic faith and practice where western culture is a dominant influence .  As to Pretty Panther  , We all know Political Correctness when we see it !

6. profile image0

http://usercontent2.hubimg.com/12671041.png

7. profile image0

So ,I have been looking up statistics of  Sharia law with  Muslim influences ,  What Sharia law actually is and how wide spread its influences  are in the Muslim world .  I realize that Sharia is an extreme course of law and wondered as to it's influences here in America  as well ,  And , it's pretty interesting to say the least .    I know that this thread is about the positive influences of  Islam in America  and yet , I believe that we should look at the entire, even  global  picture .        Perhaps  even to  the point that   our legal system  is lax as compared to Sharia Law ,   

I will let you all judge as to the results .

Good afternoon, Ahorseback. Nice to see you have been doing some research.

However, as you have already pointed out, this thread is not about Sharia law but about the positive contributions Muslims have made in America. Have you anything to contribute that is on topic?

1. profile image0

Evening Quilligrapher , Yes perhaps there are some great contributions by Muslims to our culture ,   And I realize that ALL Muslims are not extremists , But some of the statistics  do bother me and they also back up many modern belief's about Islam  !        I do wonder why though that many Muslims , even here , support Sharia belief's !

Good evening to you too.  How nice to see that you agree with me and the message intended by this thread.

http://usercontent2.hubimg.com/12672057.jpg
          This industrial engineer with a BS degree from the  University of Illinois is a modern example of an American, who is also a Muslim, that contributes in a positive way to the texture of American society.

Shahid Khan owns the NFL’s Jacksonville Jaguars in addition to the Football League Championship team Fulham F.C. in England. He also owns Flex-N-Gate, the source of a fortune he built from the rusty remnants of an automobile parts manufacturer in Urbana, Illinois. His picture on the front cover of Forbes magazine in 2012 characterized him as the face of the American Dream.
          http://usercontent2.hubimg.com/12672059.jpg
          In the words of Forbes staff writer Brian Solomon:
          “Khan’s is the kind of only-in-America success story that has filled boats and planes with dreamers for the past 150 years, one that gives a face to an ironclad fact: Skilled, motivated immigrants are proven job creators, not job takers.” {1}
          {1} http://www.forbes.com/sites/briansolomo … can-dream/

2. profile image0

Quite frankly , I'm always researching , For instance I just read a review of the American Research Center on Muslims in the US. who DO  support Sharia law even here , that figure of 51 % is rather high I'd say  !     How can we consider positive influences  of Muslim Americans   -without considering ALL  they're contributions and  popular opinions ?

8. profile image0

In America ,   there are three million Muslims , 51 % of which believe that Sharia law should be allowed here , outside of our own court / justice systems !   

I recommend that everyone Google  up and study the Sharia influences in  ,even our, Muslim culture !

9. profile image0

We certainly can't go wrong with legal immigrants who create rather than  to simply expect !

10. Quilligrapher profile image74

American Muslims share a common heritage with other Americans, whether they are descendants of immigrants that came via Ellis Island,  they can trace their ancestors to patriots of the American Revolution, they are native to America, they were brought here by force as slaves, or they emigrated here freely in search of the American dream. All citizens have a right to be proud of our rich national heritage, a tradition of values derived from the participation of all faiths including Islam, Judaism, and Christianity.  It is the diversity in this country that makes our story unique in the world.

I referred earlier to the many cities and towns in the US that bear the name Mecca or Medina. Well, there is one town in Ohio that actually has had both names.
    http://usercontent1.hubimg.com/12673700.jpg
    Medina, Ohio, was founded in 1818 by Elijah Boardman (1760–1823), a Revolutionary War veteran and, later, a U.S. Senator from Connecticut (1821-1823). Mr. Boardman originally named the town Mecca but the name was changed to Medina when it was learned another town not far away was also named Mecca.

Perhaps the most colorful, if not historically accurate, explanation of the name change comes from the 1966 Class of Medina Senior High School:

“The old pioneers placed a great trust in their religion when wandering into Indian country… Mohammedanism was next to Christianity in size at that time and Mohammed’s philosophy (sic) much read and known by the old timers, Boardman perhaps included. The City of Mecca in Arabia was known world over, because of thousands of pilgrims who made an annual pilgrimage there, until it came to be a by-word for travelers overland to refer to the end of their journey as their Mecca. Boardman perhaps did likewise. After Mohammed was driven from his birthplace, Mecca, he fled to Medina, Arabia, the capital. Here the pilgrims traveled as they had before to Mecca, and still do. Now, when the name of Mecca, Ohio, needed changing because of a town in Trumbull County having that name, the next most common end of the voyage was Medina in Arabia.” {1}

Islam is indeed an inseparable part of the American Tapestry.
    {1} http://virtuecenter.s3.amazonaws.com/fi … merica.pdf

11. profile image0

Of course ,  The great melting pot of America is a great thing  and  the American-ization of any culture or religion is a wonderful  thing to see .    This "melting pot "  is truly  a leveling ground for many, many cultures .   I often wonder why some  nations and there peoples  resent what truly is one nation , one people , made up of so many varied  cultures  !

12. Quilligrapher profile image74

On Oct. 28, 2015, this young American will be 36 years old. To say he is a Muslim that has altered both American and global culture is a gross understatement. 
    http://usercontent2.hubimg.com/12675087.jpg
    Jawed Karim, the son of a Bangladeshi American researcher at 3M, was born in East Germany at a very young age. He is a co-founder of You-Tube and he designed/developed many of the core components of PayPal, including its real-time anti-fraud system. He has a BS in Computer Science and earned a master's degree in computer science from Stanford University.

1. profile image0

Hope you don't mind me pointing this out..... very funny.   Hope we can all have a laugh!

Very good, Johnny. You spotted my twisted humor and pseudo-“Easter egg”.  Bravo!

13. profile image0

johnny comelately,
    If we are in an open forum  ,  and are going to be politically correct will we also discuss that which  lies beneath the veil  of Muslim influences ,    perhaps the  controls of their  religious influences  and say .....
    Women's empowerment issues  ?   
    Are  America Muslim women allowed to  drive ?
    How about  that of the gay's and their open  marriage's under Muslim  influence  ?
    Will we also discuss what happens when someone gives up their Muslim faith  ?
    I've got more , Just asking ?

If we are going to glorify  "Muslim "  as part of this discussion , perhaps we should  include  the very meaning by religious definition or clarification ,  YOU are choosing to invoke  religion  not me , I am simply  bringing balance to a forum .            If you want a simply glorification of theism  perhaps you should Hub it .     Then  YOU can control all of the comments .

I'm a little surprised Johnny ,   usually it's  anything to do with religion that  makes you barf in forums .
    Oh that's right , that's just involving Christianity .

1. profile image0

There is most certainly, in my opinion, a lot that is wrong with Islam and Christianity, especially when the dogma and creeds are shoved in the faces of people who do not wish to accept or believe. 

So I am speaking as one who tries to confront bullying tactics, sometimes successfully, sometimes without success.  But it's never without anxiety that we confront a bully.  It can be scary, and my powers of argument are not great.... so there are many people here and in other hubs/discussions, who can engage much more effectively than I.

Ok, let me be un-Politically Correct for a moment:   I don't agree with any religion being foisted on other people in order to satisfy a controlling click.  This applies in my opinion to Christians, Muslims, Hindus, Buddhist, anyone or anything.   I feel that anyone entering another country should be willing to conduct themselves in a manner that is acceptable to the inhabitants who claim that country as their home.  This applies to Christians entering a Muslim community and Muslims entering a Christian community.

Also, if people are fleeing to a country which offers safety and fair hearing, then those accepting such safety and fairness should not be allowed to bring their "bad baggage" to the new country.  They should leave it outside the gate and learn to live anew, in turn making a positive contribution to the safety and fairness of their new community.

1. profile image0

WE agree on something !   ......:-]

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)