jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (9 posts)

HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT IT??

1. CCgirl profile image76
    CCgirlposted 22 months ago

immigration is a hot topic at this point in time.  Especially with all of the upcoming election.  What are your thoughts? Are you an immigrant? Are your parents immigrants? Or perhaps your significant other?

1. wilderness profile image98
      wildernessposted 22 months agoin reply to this

Immigration has made the US what it is today and is great for the country.

Supporting millions of people "squatting" in the country illegally, not so much.

CCgirlposted 22 months agoin reply to this

Absolutely agreed wilderness. As an immigrant here I worked extremely hard to adapt culture and reach success. It was far from the free ride and I absolutely resent anyone who comes here with intentions of living off of this country's citizens and resources

1. colorfulone profile image85
          colorfuloneposted 22 months agoin reply to this

I agree with your statement...except for the "resent" part. 
          I don't hold on to indignation because I do not want to be bitter. 
          For me, there are many more beneficial ways to choose to feel.

I agree with you colorful one… Maybe there are better ways to feel, but because so many take advantage of the system all immigrants are looked upon poorly  and so unfortunately, people like me that work hard are classified the same way.

2. LauraD093 profile image85
    LauraD093posted 22 months ago

I am all for immigration if it is done legally. We wouldn't be the country we are without the diversity that immigration brings to the table. Immigration done illegally by crossing the border doesn't seem beneficial to anyone only those that want cheap labor that they wish to exploit. I like CCgirl's comment she nails it.

3. Michaela Osiecki profile image81
    Michaela Osieckiposted 22 months ago

Let's not forget though that the United States is actually founded on illegal immigration and that our ancestors came here without consent from the already established residents and then proceeded to steal their land, murder them, and hundreds of years later offer pitiful compensation...

1. wilderness profile image98
      wildernessposted 22 months agoin reply to this

Oh?  What laws were violated?  The Queen herself not only gave permission but encouraged the immigration...to a land without laws or ownership (outside of British and Spanish ownership) but where the early colonists were welcomed.  Don't see that as illegal.

2. CCgirl profile image76

Michaela  you are 100% correct. However, baby it's a cliché, but two wrongs don't make a right. What happened and continues to happen to the Native Americans is disgusting. Coming here illegally and then arranging permanent status is one thing but being here illegally indefinitely benefits no one. It is also a constantly nerve racking situation for the them
      Because one  have to constantly worry about being discovered in deported.  I've unfortunately seen many who were reported and
      After decades were deported without their children.  Not a good situation
      For anyone.

working