jump to last post 1-19 of 19 discussions (19 posts)

Define freedom?

1. RKHenry profile image79
    RKHenryposted 8 years ago

Define freedom?

2. JessicaR1211 profile image64
    JessicaR1211posted 8 years ago

Being able to move wherever I want, when I want, and with whom I want. I want to be an Immigrant in somebody elses country, but Visa rules are awful. Can't we just be one huge country?

3. ledefensetech profile image72
    ledefensetechposted 8 years ago

Freedom is being able to go where you want, like Jessica said, being able to associate with whomever you want, like Eaglewiki says and being able to do the kind of work you want.  That and being able to keep the fruits of your labor.  Liberty and property in other words.  The only restriction on the is that your choices must not keep another person from enjoying their freedom.

4. lrohner profile image82
    lrohnerposted 8 years ago

The ability to make choices, regardless of the consequences, as long as the consequences do not affect those around me.

I, personally, think this country is getting a bit out of hand when it comes to limiting our freedom. I mean, I can totally understand and support drunk driving laws. I don't want to get on the road and die because someone else made a stupid choice. But stuff like seatbelt laws (and I do wear my seatbelt -- always) is just going too far. If I get hurt in a car crash because I didn't have a seatbelt on, that's not hurting anyone but me.

5. thurstjm profile image79
    thurstjmposted 8 years ago

There is one very simple answer that John Mill came up with centuries ago, an answer that the founding fathers used when creating our constitutiton.

A man is free as long as he can do whatever he chooses, providing he does not harm any other persons with his actions.

6. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 8 years ago

To be who you are without hurting anyone else.

7. profile image0
    A Texanposted 8 years ago

Freedom is the right to choose and not have choices made for you! Then you must preserve that right of choice for the next generation or be the agent of tyranny. The question should be will you die so another may choose, thats freedom!

These young men and women fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan have made their choice and they deserve our respect for passing freedom on to those who have never had it.

8. easyspeak profile image71
    easyspeakposted 8 years ago

freedom is relative and can only be defined in measure. no one has complete freedom and no political system can allow total freedom.  freedom does come at a cost...just think about the banking stuff. They have too much freedom without scrutiny.

some say you can never have freedom and that you're always a slave to something...but that's more of a philosophical/spiritual question.

9. breakfastpop profile image89
    breakfastpopposted 8 years ago

Freedom is the right to make important decisions for yourself and your family without coercion or fear of retaliation. Freedom is the right to  take advantage of the myriad opportunities out there in the world to better your life. Freedom is the right to express your opinion  and fight for what you believe in, as long as you do not bring harm to anyone with an opposing point of view. Freedom is what we still have in this country, but I fear our rights are being eroded and we have to be vigilant.

10. EmpressFelicity profile image74
    EmpressFelicityposted 8 years ago

Breakfastpop, LDT and others have defined one important aspect of freedom (freedom to do and say what you like as long as you don't hurt others), but there's another, neglected aspect to freedom: namely the freedom NOT to do or say things if you don't want to, and the freedom to leave a situation you don't like.

11. profile image0
    Denno66posted 8 years ago

The ability to not be under another's ideological pressures.

12. RockinB profile image56
    RockinBposted 8 years ago

Freedom is never having to worry about what your government is doing to you, or taking from you.

13. T_Augustus profile image60
    T_Augustusposted 8 years ago

F or all the things you put me through
    R idiculed the things I'd do
    E very decision I harshly felt
    E specially when you were "trying to help"
    D ragging me into situations and
    O ther people's conversations
    M y prayers have been answered this is it - today is my last day       boss...I QUIT!

14. wesleyacarter profile image50
    wesleyacarterposted 8 years ago

the idea that people can exist free from obligation to others.

that one can do whatever one wants, whenever one wants, wherever one wants, as long as it doesn't hurt someone else. How silly does that really sound? sounds like a recipe for doing nothing worthwhile.

Especially in an industrialized nation, everything you do must be scrutinized within the laws of your people. Every item you buy must be supplied by some form of commerce. Every road you travel must have been paved others. In order for you to be "free" to watch your favorite show, people must produce it, more people must broadcast it and finally, someone must have built the television you watch it on.

If your idea of freedom is simply based around the things you own, the place you are and the time you spend on yourself, then you should rid yourself of all your possessions, cut yourself off from humanity. After that, attempt to bring together the resources needed to watch your favorite television show; the production, the broadcast, the technology, all without other people. Only then will you truly know the cost of freedom.

People need people; we are bound by and to each other. Freedom does not exist.

15. LensMan999 profile image52
    LensMan999posted 7 years ago

Freedom is something which allows an individual to do anything as per his/her wish without being questioned. Also, it does not hinder the freedom of the other individual or cause any trouble to him/her.

16. CreativeOrange profile image71
    CreativeOrangeposted 7 years ago

Freedom is the divine right to chose our will and act upon it.

17. Beata Stasak profile image83
    Beata Stasakposted 7 years ago

Freedom means everything to me...it is my ability to voice, to imagine, to create anything that crosses my mind. It is the the ability to create your own path, your original way of life, your unique perception of the world around you without being judged or persecuted for it...
    Once you lived in a country without personal freedom you know there is nothing sweeter than a taste of freedom in your mouth:)

18. VocalJaz profile image58
    VocalJazposted 7 years ago

Total freedom to me is being totally responsible. I want financial independence. I want to be emotionally free and have time freedom to do the things I love and help others in need. I am happy to say that I am in the process of achieving freedom.

19. Youniverse World profile image60
    Youniverse Worldposted 7 years ago

Lots of money and beautiful girls big_smile Thats is freedom!