Online Earnings and Taxes

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (18 posts)
  1. emievil profile image76
    emievilposted 9 years ago

    Hi All. Bear with me for this question (not even sure if I am in the right topic).

    As an accountant I can't help but ask - do you declare your online earnings (whether from Hubpages or in freelancing sites) and pay the related taxes to your government? Why or why not?

    1. Maddie Ruud profile image76
      Maddie Ruudposted 9 years agoin reply to this

      Yes.  Because I exceed the minimum needed for reporting and am issued 1099-MISCs by AdSense, Amazon, and EBay every year.

  2. expectus profile image87
    expectusposted 9 years ago

    I guess it would be wise to declare it on your tax form, if you are earning a decent amount that it would affect which tax bracket you fall into.

    and I'm not in the U.S but google adsense has some tax procedure you have to setup when you first make your account , I didn't really read it but that might be worth reading through

    1. emievil profile image76
      emievilposted 9 years agoin reply to this

      Hmmm, I didn't think I saw that tax procedure. I'd better check. Thanks.

  3. Marisa Wright profile image97
    Marisa Wrightposted 9 years ago

    It depends entirely on your country of origin.  A lot of websites ask for tax information because they're based in the US, and US residents have to declare even small amounts of income.  If you're not a US resident, you sometimes have to hunt around to find out what to do - usually there's some kind of declaration you have to make, saying you're not resident.

  4. Uninvited Writer profile image83
    Uninvited Writerposted 9 years ago

    We have to earn a significant amount to pay taxes on earnings in Canada. I think it's over $3,000 a year and I haven't come close to that smile

  5. earnestshub profile image86
    earnestshubposted 9 years ago

    In Australia you declare the income, but no tax till it is significant amount.

    1. Marisa Wright profile image97
      Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

      That's not what I was told, Earnesthub.  If the income is derived from a hobby, you don't have to declare it.  In fact, the tax office would prefer you didn't - because if you do declare it, you're entitled to claim expenses as a tax deduction.

      Interesting how we've been given different advice in the same country!

  6. emievil profile image76
    emievilposted 9 years ago

    Uninvited Writer and earnesthub, thanks. I guess it's different in your countries (lucky you). We're taxed here up to the smallest amount after what we call 'personal deductions' and these deductions are not really that significant.

  7. nicomp profile image65
    nicompposted 9 years ago

    Google will report your earnings to the IRS. They will also send you a 1099 at the end of the calendar year. Don't ignore it.

    I'm not a tax accountant, but having been self-employed for 20 years I suggest filing a Schedule C and taking advantage of the deductions that might be available to you. You don't necessarily need to incorporate or form any type of partnership; you can file as a Sole Proprietor using your Social Security number.

    Expect to pay federal, state, and local taxes on your earnings. If you make enough, be sure to look into quarterly payments. The IRS strongly prefers not to wait until April 15 of the following year to receive all their money. You will be socked with fines and penalties if you haven't been feeding the pig on a regular basis.

    Don't take my word for it. Consult a tax accountant or buy a copy of TurboTax.

    1. Marisa Wright profile image97
      Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

      Nicomp, you should specify which country your advice refers to (it sounds like the US).  The person who asked the question was from the Phillipines.

  8. oderog profile image44
    oderogposted 9 years ago

    If you are in country where online revenue are monitored, then it is wise to register

  9. profile image0
    pgrundyposted 9 years ago

    I declare all my writing income and pay taxes on it. I do it because, even though I'm not rolling in dough, I do exceed the minimum for filing purposes in the US and I want a paper trail showing I actually do earn money. All kinds of situations come up in which a person might need that. smile

    I'm trying to decide whether to take the home office deduction.

    I've heard it flags you for an IRS audit if you're low income.

    1. nicomp profile image65
      nicompposted 9 years agoin reply to this

      I am also wary of the Home Office deduction. I suspect that you will lose out on the back end when you sell your house; they sock you with taxes on the proceeds of the sale based on the part of the house used for business. I may be totally off the wall.

      1. profile image0
        pgrundyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

        No that makes sense. Even though we don't intend to sell, that's another issue that I hadn't even considered, and you're right. I should do pretty well with just my standard deductions, so I'll probably pass, especially now that you brought up the back end thing with the house...

  10. emievil profile image76
    emievilposted 9 years ago

    Hey everyone! thanks for your replies. I'm planning to declare my earnings this year and I basically just want to see if other people are doing it. I don't think our IRS-equivalent body here is used to seeing "online earnings" as part of our tax return smile.

    Pam, good point. Here some of my clients who want to get a visa to travel to US have to show that they have income, otherwise, the US Embassy will not grant their visas. I guess having a losing business here is a red flag to the US Embassy people.

    1. Maddie Ruud profile image76
      Maddie Ruudposted 9 years agoin reply to this

      It just falls under independent contract work, at least here in the States.

  11. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 9 years ago

    Yes, I pay ALL of the required taxes. Even though companies may not report affiliate earnings under $600 to the IRS, I report them on my Form C. And I take every allowable deduction.


This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at:

Show Details
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the or domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)