jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Should pot be legalized in all 50 states?

1. RickBurnett profile image59
    RickBurnettposted 7 years ago

Should pot be legalized in all 50 states?

2. Bikash jha profile image56
    Bikash jhaposted 7 years ago

It should be legalised all over the world, but then it will just become something like ciggarate, will cause destruction.

3. David 470 profile image84
    David 470posted 7 years ago

I do not think pot is the worst form of a drug, but I do not think it should be legalized cause then people will take even more advantage of it then it already is and overuse it. Overuse of anything is terrible just like Alcohol.

4. SteveoMc profile image75
    SteveoMcposted 7 years ago

At the very least, it should be decriminalized.   Personally I believe it should be legalized. 

1.  41% of the population, all age groups 12 and up have used pot

2.  55.6%  of the population, ages 18 - 25

Legalizing it will not cause abuse, the abuse already exists.   
    It can be controlled and grown in safety and bring in revenues.

Alcohol is a good example, use of alcohol actually increased and made alcohol traffickers rich.   Including some prominent families who made their money with black market sales of alcohol.

Although the number of prison inmates constitutes less than 1% convicted of marijuana related arrests, it might be good to have those that are out of jail. 

From Wikipedia: 2,304,115 were incarcerated in U.S. prisons and jails in 2008.

Now 1% of those is 23,041

From Wikipedia: The average annual operating cost per state inmate in 2001 was $22,650, or $62.05 per day; among facilities operated by the Federal Bureau of Prisons, it was $22,632 per inmate, or $62.01 per day."[46]

Now that adds up to:  $521,878,650.00  Annually.   
    If the prison population were to be reduced by an additional 10%,  (51% of inmates are for non-violent crimes), that would be an annual savings of $5,218,786,500.00.   This is a lot of money on an annual basis.   

Now lets estimate the revenues from Pot, lets say 10% of the population used pot regularly and will buy as they do at a liquor store, the taxes and other revenues could be estimated this way.

10% x $50 a month x 12 = $18 Billion.   

That is a 23 Billion dollar increase in revenue due to legalization.

I can't even begin to estimate the cost of courts and law enforcement.

5. dabeaner profile image56
    dabeanerposted 7 years ago

No, the U.S. and local governments need an excuse to bust and incarcerate people for buying, selling, and smoking pot.  Full employment act for prison guards.  Good additional source of income for governments by selling seized assets.

No, the U.S. and local governments need the crime as a result of it being illegal to create fear in the populace, so that they (government) can get more laws of all kinds to increase their control of the populace (their serfs).

Now, I actually think it should be LEGAL.  But, I am not a government lackey or religious conservative wacko, so my opinion doesn't count.

6. SheriSapp profile image60
    SheriSappposted 7 years ago

IMO, pot is much less dangerous than alcohol. I live in WV and if my state could get tax money from legalization it would help much. Also, we will be needing more jobs as the libs squelch the coal industry!!