jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

You leave the grocery store and load up your trunk, only to realize you...

1. L.C. Smith profile image60
    L.C. Smithposted 7 years ago

You leave the grocery store and load up your trunk, only to realize you...

forgot to get charged for all the merchandise beneath your cart.  How would you handle this?

2. Anaya M. Baker profile image83
    Anaya M. Bakerposted 7 years ago

In most circumstances, I would pay for it. This has happened to me a few times, and I usually take the honest route. Once though, I accidentally walked out with a bag of cat food under the cart. I was really broke at the time, and had barely enough money to buy it and the few food items I'd gotten for myself. Ashamed to admit it, but I just kept walking...but it was also late at night, and there was only one clerk on the registers. I knew if I went back in, she would get in trouble for not checking under my cart, so I rationalized to myself that I was helping her out.

3. MickS profile image71
    MickSposted 7 years ago

That seems a bit primitive, as far as I know, in the UK, the security scanners, as you left, would pick up stuff that hasn't gone through the till scan.

4. Powerful Pierre profile image79
    Powerful Pierreposted 7 years ago

Unequivocally, without a doubt go back to the teller who served me (take her aside NOT blurt it out) so that she could fix her mistake. HONESTY is the  ONLY policy if you believe you reap what you sow.

5. profile image31
    Sunrahposted 7 years ago

If I am not in an extreme rush I would take it back into the store and pay but if I am running late for work or some other important event I would pack it up and leave.

6. Lisa HW profile image72
    Lisa HWposted 7 years ago

When that kind of thing (never the whole bunch of stuff under the carriage, but a few items) has happened to me I just go back.  I don't want the store "ripping me off", so it's only fair that I don't do that to them.  Once, a couple of years ago, I did discover a small, $1, notebook that had fallen through the baby seat.  That time I couldn't be bothered going back.  I told myself they've kept enough of my stuff that didn't get into a bag, and I couldn't be bothered going back to get it either - so I figured, "why be a fanatic about a dollar item?" (and didn't bother).

working