jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

How do you cure hic-ups? What is your special way of doing it?

1. chasemillis profile image65
    chasemillisposted 6 years ago

How do you cure hic-ups? What is your special way of doing it?

I take big breaths of air and swallow them, what about you

2. profile image0
    vinsanityposted 6 years ago

I either hold my breath or I drink water. None of the other crazy ones work for me like standing on your head or being scared.

3. suje34 profile image59
    suje34posted 6 years ago

We sometimes hic-ups when some foreign particles enters our wind pipe. Drinking water may some times cure but the best way is to inhale air holding our breathe as long as you can and during that try to inhale more and more without exhaling your breathe. It certainly cures.

4. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

Since hiccups are spasms of the diaphragm, I take a deep breath and hold it, allowing it to really press down on the diaphragm. Works every time for me.

5. Lisa HW profile image73
    Lisa HWposted 6 years ago

Disgusting as this is, I eat a packet of sugar (or a level teaspoon of it) - dry.  It gets rid of hiccups when the sugar granules hit the diaphragm.  Works every time for me and my kids (now grown).

6. Dexter Yarbrough profile image83
    Dexter Yarbroughposted 6 years ago

I either hold my breath or when the hiccup comes, I burp instead of hiccup and it goes away after a couple of times. Go figure!

7. Inspiration88 profile image80
    Inspiration88posted 6 years ago

I hold my breath. Usually this helps. Although on the rare occasions holding breath doesn't help, so I just wait for it to pass.. smile

8. ii3rittles profile image82
    ii3rittlesposted 6 years ago

My mom taught me this one... Its weird but it works..

Get a glass of water and a straw and tilt your head to one side while covering your ears, then gulp the water down through the straw.

It works!

I usually just get a cracker or something and chew it up and swallow it with a big gulp forcing it down my throat really fast.

9. David Warren profile image81
    David Warrenposted 6 years ago

This has worked for absolutely everyone I've shown it to. Fill a glass with water and take a sip, that's all it takes, from the opposite side of the glass you would normally drink from. It is awkward until you get used to it but works like a charm. I don't know the physiology behind it only that it works.