jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Does the term African American offend ?

1. mingsjourney profile image51
    mingsjourneyposted 6 years ago

Does the term African American offend ?

I had a dark skinned customer who hated the term African American.  He said he wasn't born in Africa, he has never been there and his parents were born and raised in Boston.  Do we need to stop using this term?

2. Credence2 profile image80
    Credence2posted 6 years ago

I am described as such and it does not bother me. Is a person described as Scotch-Irish necessarily born in either Ireland or Scotland?

3. feenix profile image60
    feenixposted 6 years ago

It does not offend me when I am referred to as an African-American, but I do not like having that tag applied to me. And the reason why is I am an American PERIOD! It just so happens that many, or most, of the people I descended from where Africans.

And by the way, I have "hubbed" about this very subject, and it's a very well-known post on this site.

4. SpanStar profile image60
    SpanStarposted 6 years ago

People can decide to do as they please and that is to say if they feel a term doesn't fit they can choose to change it at least in America we can sometimes do that.  Let me say this regarding the dark skin friend that hated being called African American that dark skin friend wasn't born White either and even though race relations in America has come a very long way if one thinks racism for African Americans is dead in this country then remember what someone else said "Those who forget the past are destine to repeat it."

5. delmer47 profile image59
    delmer47posted 6 years ago

The term African American does not offend me. But all of us don't share the same opinion, and that's OK. It's all about what the individual prefers.